Buying headphone in LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying headphone in LA

I have a friend in Culver City (LA) which is looking to buy a pair of Sennheiser or Koss headphones. Does anyone know about a serious Hi-fi store around the area which is open till late (afte 19:30) ?
    He's already been at Cirtuit City and found nothing, the stuff he'd seen at CompUSA couldn't be demoed.

He has till Wednesday.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

I used to drive to L.A. to buy Hi-Fi equipment (decades ago) from some store with N.Y. competitive pricing but I can't recall the name right now. I don't know if they would demo headphones as they were pretty jammed full of products back then. I'll post the name if it comes to me, but don't hold your breath.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The problem with demoing headphones is that you have to sell a LOT of headphones, because there are only like 20 different models of Sennheiser, and NO ONE wants to buy the demo unit because of "cooties." The big box stores have stolen all the volume and generally don't care about whether you like the sound or not.. they rely on marketing to sell the things. Again, the big box stores and online retailers have driven the margins down so much on Headphones that if you WERE a specialty retailer and wanted to be helpful to someone like your friend and have lots of phones to demo and be forced to meet the Amazon price AND provide full service after the sale, that retailer would have gone out of business, broke so hard it's not funny. So if you are looking for a retailer like this and can't find one, that's why. Blame yourselves for not letting them make a living.

Comment

HeadRoom has a 30 day guaranty if they can't find any decent local places. They could also try asking around at Head-Fi, I'm sure someone there could tell them where a good local headphone dealer is.

Comment

I have to agree with KvH - I just recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD595 (wonderful btw; very comfy and great sound, and a nice screw-clamp holder included) online because the price was so good. I originally had planned to buy HD515 for ~100 EUR or so (I think they're the cheapest model with this very comfortable design) and decided to have a look around online for prices - found the HD595 for 130 incl. shipping, while in a store it would cost double that. I am poor (relative to the rest of my country only, of course, not relative to the whole world), and there are no HiFi stores in this damned city I'd feel welcome in so would have bought at a large electronics chain anyway, so I figured I could just as well buy online. Glad I did (and with our 2 weeks no-questions-asked money back guarantee law here, it was relatively risk-free, and try-at-home for headphones is not something I'd expect of any HiFi store, just because it'd ruin them).

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
            found the HD595 for 130 incl. shipping
            WHERE !?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

It's a german online shop, I don't know if they ship overseas. If you want to, I could buy and send it over to you.

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks AZ, but fter converting it to local currency, I figured I can't afford to spend such a sum right now.

Comment

It's a good price, with shipping to here they are 141,50€, while here they cost 200€

Comment

My HD-595's were $250 USD. About average price for the US.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
                      Does anyone know about a serious Hi-fi store around the area which is open till late (afte 19:30) ?

Well I guess thats one good thing about the States....most stores are opened till 9PM or 21:00, if not later.
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                      X