The new Japanese art: Dumping Trash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Japanese art: Dumping Trash

Here I thought the sorting our resident admin has to do was a lot...

My favorite part, which will not seem shocking if you've ever been to Japan:
    One young couple consistently failed to properly sort their trash. "Sorry! We'll be careful!" they would say each time Mr. Kawai knocked on their door holding evidence of their transgressions.

At last, even Mr. Kawai - a small 77-year-old man with wispy white hair, an easy smile and a demeanor that can only be described as grandfatherly - could take no more.

"They were renting the apartment, so I asked the owner, 'Well, would it be possible to have them move?' " Mr. Kawai said, recalling, with undisguised satisfaction, that the couple was evicted two months ago.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Canada just ships it all to Michigan, where we have to deal with the smelly landfills while they keep their landscape and water tables pristeen

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thats because Americans don't care about anything but money. The Americans who made that garbage deal never come within ten miles of it, I'll wager. They live in nice gated communities with snobby guards at the gate, away from the ugly half of America. Damned banana republic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
        Here I thought the sorting our resident admin has to do was a lot...

My favorite part, which will not seem shocking if you've ever been to Japan:
        Too damned many people on this planet if we have to waste our lives doing this. This looks like a full-time clerical job to me.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          Thats because Americans don't care about anything but money. The Americans who made that garbage deal never come within ten miles of it, I'll wager. They live in nice gated communities with snobby guards at the gate, away from the ugly half of America. Damned banana republic.
          The fact is average Joe America doesn't care either. The rich aren't always to blame for that matter, as policy makers aren't necessarily well-to-do.
          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

The average Joe America is getting used to having no real say in the matter (or any matter for that matter) so is it any wonder he doesn't care?

Comment

It would be. I guess the average joe nowadays believes he's better of being tended for by others. I may bot agree, but it is an opinion, it is a choice.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                Canada just ships it all to Michigan, where we have to deal with the smelly landfills while they keep their landscape and water tables pristeen

Dr. Mordrid
                Yeah, those evil canadians are forcing their waste upon you with their superior military power

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yeah DrM, look at us - we bring only usefull "wastes", German cars for example

Comment

Dr. Mordrid
                    It is not "Canada" it is Toronto sending their garbage over.. and take this issue up with the local politicians accepting the garbage, which toronto pays Michigan for, not the canadians.
                    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                      It is not "Canada" it is Toronto sending their garbage over.. and take this issue up with the local politicians accepting the garbage, which toronto pays Michigan for, not the canadians.
                      Yep. Politicians are whores for whoever lines their pockets.

What about the energy wasted to transport all that trash all the way to Michigan?

Comment

ya ya ya,
                        'Blame Canada"
                        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Sure I will.

They keep preaching to everyone about environmentalism but when it comes to actually cleaning up their own mess their solution to park it in someone elses back yard. With their low population density they can do better than NIMBY.

And yes, I'm po'ed at how low Michigans out-of-state disposal costs are and how they contribute to the problem, but at least our legislature is acting to change that.

Not so the Canadians when it comes to pushing the problem off on us to start with.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sure I will.

They keep preaching to everyone about environmentalism but when it comes to actually cleaning up their own mess their solution to park it in someone elses back yard. With their low population density they can do better than NIMBY.

Not so the Canadians when it comes to pushing the problem off on us to start with.

Dr. Mordrid
                            How does that differ that much from what practically ALL first world countries do to the ones lower on food chain? (and I don't have to tell who contributes most to this...)

Comment

We store our own waste, normal and nuclear, along with both from other countries....so pffffttt

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X