• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombat
    Lots of places.
    In the USA?

States With AOC = 16:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, D.C., Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia

States With MARRIED AOC <= 16:
    Iowa, Missouri, South Carolina (14)
    Colorado (15)
    Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Massachusetts, Montana, Utah, Washington, Wyoming (16)

Also, U.S. Military officers may have sex with anyone 16 and up. (presumably only whilst on-base )

Source:

Last edited by Gurm; 7 June 2005, 17:51.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
      Drugs aren't a right, but I don't believe that the federal government has any authority over them if they're completely within state boundaries. As it is, states DO regulate alcohol differently. Liquor licenses, blue laws, state vs. private distribution. And the big one: age at which you're allowed to buy alcohol (basically deciding who possession is legal vs. illegal for). Why is alcohol possession within states' rights, but marijuana is not?
      Perhaps it shouldn't be. I think they all pretty much went to 21 because of some sort of federal matching funds thing or something? Not sure, but I remember when I was in college in Chicago (where drinking age was 21), there were an AWFUL lot of people from this metro area of about 6,000,000 who would drive the hour or so to Wisconsin (where drinking age was 18) so they could legally buy beer, get drunk as hell, and then DRIVE HOME the 80 miles back to Chicago. If the drinking age had been the same, they could have gone to a local bar instead of one in Kenosha, then taken the bus or train home. It was an extremely stupid situation, and it caused a lot of death and property damage.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
        Perhaps it shouldn't be. I think they all pretty much went to 21 because of some sort of federal matching funds thing or something? Not sure, but I remember when I was in college in Chicago (where drinking age was 21), there were an AWFUL lot of people from this metro area of about 6,000,000 who would drive the hour or so to Wisconsin (where drinking age was 18) so they could legally buy beer, get drunk as hell, and then DRIVE HOME the 80 miles back to Chicago. If the drinking age had been the same, they could have gone to a local bar instead of one in Kenosha, then taken the bus or train home. It was an extremely stupid situation, and it caused a lot of death and property damage.
        Yeah, pretty much. There was enormous federal pressure. Essentially the Supreme Court refused to even get involved due to the fact that when prohibition was rolled back the states WERE given explicit power over alcohol regulation. So the feds really had to step in. It wasn't that a bunch of prudes wanted to keep us all from drinking at 18... well it wasn't JUST that. It was at least in large part because of exactly what you were saying - people crossing state lines to legally buy/drink liquor they couldn't at home.

Now, why they couldn't have pressured the states where the age was 21 to lower it to 18... is beyond me.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
        X