Out-****ing-ragious!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breezer
    Whats the problem with this law? In the UK we have had Compulsary Purchase Orders for years, if the govt want to build a bypass (you've got to build bypasses) they will give you £20 for your land (house) and say ta ta.
    the problem that exists is that the federal government has basically said it is ok for states to destroy homes so that private business can be placed there.

in effect, it provides a legal loophole which could be used to infringe on not only the 5th amendment (personal rights) but several others (religion, quartering soldiers, search and seizure, and even possibly the rights to bear arms).

interesting quotes on this:

from another forum:
    Since our American Revolution and the political debate that led to the Consitiution was based on a premise that governments grew out of the consent of the governed and that individual rights (including property rights - read the Founders' writings) are inalienable (i.e. pre-exist government and are not "granted" by government), this effectively destroys property rights.
    John Stuart Mills said :
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant.
    edit: another really good one:

Tell your roommate this scenario:

You own 5 acres of land (big lot within city limits), of which you have your house. You pay, I don't know, $3,000 a year in property taxes, and another $1,000 to the school district, water district, etc. They make $4,000 off you a year.

A developer comes along, and decides your lot would be a nice shopping center or some such. He pushes it through the zoning commission to get your property zoned commercial from residential, especially since you aren't in a platted subdivision. Then, he goes to city council, and proposes his shopping center in place of your house, and because he'd be opening businesses, the property value has increased (meaning more property tax money), plus the added benefit of those businesses collecting sales taxes (meaning more money going into the local public funds). If he can promise them more than $4,000 a year in revenue, then you can be effectively out on the street, since public monies can be spent on public things, like education, social programs, etc. By default, his business on your lot, florishing, is for "the public good."

And, the real kicker, is that he nor the city have to give you more than fair market value for the land as YOU have it, with YOUR improvements. If your land and house appraise at say, $175,000 ($150,000 house and $5K an acre), but once the land is his it may be worth up to or over a million once the shopping center goes up, he nor the city will pay you the $825,000 difference. He just got your land on the cheap.

I see three options:

1) do nothing, take the money, whatever they give you, and walk away, or go to state court, potentially lose, and get even less than what they were going to give you.
    2) barricade yourself into your house, end up on the news either as some as some crazed nut or some lone little young Goodman Brown, in which after you are dead, people will sing songs about you.
    3) smile with great satisfaction knowing that even though that your arm will be stuck with a needle in a few years, you got to slit the throats of your enemies (the developer).
    edit #2:

another one:

Anyone who has ever read Ayn Rand's theories on Capitalism and basic individual rights and read a little history knows this is the first step in ending a democracy. This is why it was originally "life, liberty, and property.." Without property rights and the protections therein, we are all owned by the government.

This was a horrible decision. Had this happened 200 years ago there would have been a revolution, but I think they have us so sedated by Wal-mart, Internet, and Play station they know they can pretty do whatever they want now.

I guess Americans have all been so dumbed down in public schools, I doubt most even remember Shay's Rebellion.

Where's Daniel Shays when you need him?

Here's my question for LEO's. I have heard some interviewed say they are not leaving their property. You're an LEO assigned to remove them from their property, what are you going to do?

If you answer, yes... you will do it, the next question is at what point do you stop following government orders?
    Last edited by DGhost; 25 June 2005, 12:36.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I choose #3, but I would not slit his throat. I would chloroform him and lead him off to some hole and let him starve to death.

Comment

Property rights are basic. They are the foundation of this country. To legalize the destruction of the rights of one individual with gross prejudice towards another individual or corporate entity is tantamount to treason. Those five justices must all be impeached and a new decision rendered, or government of the people, by the people, for the people has perished from the earth.

Comment

Here's where those five justices stand.. on the wrong side of this poll:

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that governments may clear land for a developer by seizing the homes and businesses of people who refuse to sell, then paying them fair-market value. Right or wrong?

4.9%
          Right. Recalcitrant landowners shouldn't be allowed to block progress in a community. (385 responses)

95.1%
          Wrong. People should not be forced to sell their homes and businesses so a developer can profit. (7457 responses)

7842 total responses

Taken from here:http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...vote18154149=1

Comment

Every American here needs to write their congressman and senators right now proposing the impeachment of those five justices. This matter is of more importance than any in recent history. It is the first major step towards a truly feudal society, and if the momentum is not stopped, we will all be destroyed by it.

Comment

Originally posted by breezer
              ... (you've got to build bypasses) ...
              That was one of the first things I thought of when I heard about this.

Comment

Here is a letter I have drafted to my senators and representative. If you agree with it, you are free to use its text in writing to yours.

A great American once wrote: "...It is rather for us the living, we here be dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

On June 23, 2005 the United States Supreme Court struck a death blow to this ideal, and effectively rewrote it to read "government of the large corporation, by the large corporation, and for the large corporation..." Their decision that local governments may act on behalf of large corporations and developers in seizing people's homes and businesses is the most grossly anti-American, unconstitutional, and treasonous act that I could conceive this court committing. By infringing upon the property rights of individuals and clearly violating the principles of the fifth and fourteenth amendments to the United States Constitution, I propose that you support impeachment proceedings against justices John Paul Stevens, Anthony Kennedy, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Stephen G. Breyer.

This extreme measure is a necessary response to what is a major step in the movement to strip all power from the individual in this nation and invest it instead in the large corporation, creating in effect a feudal society. Beware of what is happening.. there is now a legal precedent in this US Supreme Court decision for the destruction of the principle of equal protection under the law. If we are to prevent this nightmare, its progress must be nipped in the bud, and with resounding certainty. You must act now, for we are on a slippery slope, and it is your charge and duty as the people's elected representatative to do so.

Comment

"And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I think that any letter to government should quote Sandra Day O'Conner and should push her idea of a "judicial check":

In a stinging dissent, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor wrote that under the ruling, "all private property is now vulnerable." She wrote that a judicial check on eminent domain use was necessary because "if predicted (or even guaranteed) positive side effects are enough to render transfer from one private party to another constitutional, then the words 'for public use' do not realistically exclude any takings."

"Nothing is to prevent the State from replacing any Motel 6 with a Ritz-Carlton, any home with a shopping mall, or any farm with a factory," O'Connor wrote, noting that, "The beneficiaries are likely to be those citizens with disproportionate influence and power in the political process."
                    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

A great American once wrote: "...It is rather for us the living, we here be dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

On June 23, 2005 the United States Supreme Court struck a death blow to this ideal, and effectively rewrote it to read "government of the large corporation, by the large corporation, and for the large corporation..." Their decision that local governments may act on behalf of large corporations and developers in seizing people's homes and businesses is the most grossly anti-American, unconstitutional, and treasonous act that I could conceive this court committing. By infringing upon the property rights of individuals and clearly violating the principles of the fifth and fourteenth amendments to the United State Constitution, I propose that you support impeachment proceedings against justices John Paul Stevens, Anthony Kennedy, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Stephen G. Breyer.

This extreme measure is a necessary response to what is a major step in the movement to strip all power from the individual in this nation and invest it instead in the large corporation, creating in effect a feudal society. Justice Sandra Day O'Connor warned in her dissent that under the ruling, "all private property is now vulnerable." She wrote that a judicial check on eminent domain use was necessary because "if predicted (or even guaranteed) positive side effects are enough to render transfer from one private party to another constitutional, then the words 'for public use' do not realistically exclude any takings."

"Nothing is to prevent the State from replacing any Motel 6 with a Ritz-Carlton, any home with a shopping mall, or any farm with a factory," O'Connor wrote, noting that, "The beneficiaries are likely to be those citizens with disproportionate influence and power in the political process."

Beware of what is happening.. there is now a legal precedent in this US Supreme Court decision for the destruction of the principle of equal protection under the law. If we are to prevent this nightmare, its progress must be nipped in the bud, and with resounding certainty. You must act now, for we are on a slippery slope, and it is your charge and duty as the people's elected representatative to do so.

Comment

Out of curiosity, has anyone else actually tried to read the decision?

It's available on the web at http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-108.pdf

I'm not at all happy about it - I think this was a wrong decision, but there are precedents for it.

There have been numerous takings from A to give to B in our history - an example they mention in the decision is the railroads - houses were taken so that the private railroad companies could put in their rail lines.

This particular case is one where the city went through a long process (several years) of planning what to do with the area, then buying the land, then submitting the development of the region out for bid, and finally selecting a company to go forward with it. There was a public, non-profit, corporation assigned to do the initial studies, and only after there was a plan was the deicsion made to farm it out to a private corporation (though there may have been behind-the-scenes shenanigans).

Read the decision before you spout off about how terrible those liberal judges are. And someone less lazy than I can look up the railroad and other precedents to see if it was liberal or conservative judges that started the whole thing (if it really matters to you)

- Steve

Comment

It doesn't matter who startted this taking stuff, it was a bad decision then and it's just been massively expanded by the liberals on the current court.

You can't blame the long-dead for the abomination they just gave birth to.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

So, since there are precedents of legalized wrongdoing in the past which were clearly unconstitutional, such as SLAVERY, that means it's perfectly alright for a "revisionist, activist" court to trash the whole document all over again? You are on drugs.

Impeach the Fascist Five!

Comment

mmmmm

Comment

beautiful.
                                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Working...
                                X