Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For once, I agree with KvH :-)

Examples:
    During the Viet Nam war, an experiment was carried out on US troops. The personnel of a non-combat support unit were divided into two. One half showered religiously at least once per day. The other half showered twice per week over 6 months. After the first month, statistical studies were made of the incidence of any kind of illness, even self-treated minor ones. The "dirty" group were very significantly healthier than the clean group. Even more peculiar, the perceived body odour before a shower of the "dirty" group dropped very significantly during the experiment, suggesting that over-washing may actually cause BO, to the extent that the "clean" group's BO was worse than the "dirty" group's.

Not a scientific study, but an anecdotal observation. As most of you know, I've travelled widely to many peculiar places on professional international missions in groups of 3 to 30. One of the hazards of such travel is Delhi belly, Montezuma's Revenge or, more simply, the squits. What I have observed is that many of the US residents in our groups were those who took the most precautions not to risk eating/drinking anything that could possibly convey the slightest pathogen, some almost to the extent of paranoia, yet these same people were the worst sufferers of the squits whereas others who ate/drank exactly the same (or worse) did not, as a rule, suffer. The most interesting case was an Indian PhD who spent the first 30 years of his life in India and 12 years in USA who, each time we went to India, contracted the squits; IOW, he had not developed a pathogen immunity that could survive the hygienic conditions of life in the USA. It probably requires a more-or-less constant exposure to be immune.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Another thing I've come across recently: an estimated average of 3,000,000 persons are killed, across the globe, because of inhaling pollution products from burning fossil fuels (reference on request, but I don't have the time to find it just now).

Comment

Brian, I dont think that your PhD friend got immune at all. He properbly carried an increased immune response all the time he was in India. When he went back to the US, his immune system relaxed to its normal levels. It was therefore caught unaware, when he returned.

Saying that his immunesystem improved while he was in India, is like saying that stress improves your physical fitness.

In most countries with poor sewage/drinkingwater problems, the inhabitants are actually sick ALL THE TIME. THey just dont actually die from it, and they might still be able to work (to some degree).

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Hmmmm! Semantics. If you mean they have the pathogens in their body all the time, yes I agree. But are they sick if they don't exhibit any symptoms? No. Their immune system tells the body that these bugs are harmless because each one has been given a big kick up the a*s.

You might as well say that I'm sick with tetanus, smallpox, typhoid, yellow fever, hepatitis etc. because my blood carries antibodies generated from vaccines. I possibly have antibodies generated from exposure to some strains of salmonella, paratyphoid and other squits-causing bugs, which make me immune from those strains, but that doesn't make me sick, not even if I ingest identical bugs in industrial quantities. (NB this does not include water-borne diseases caused by parasites, which can make one permanently sick, but that's a totally different story)

What I was trying to imply was that constant exposure ensures an adequate supply of antibodies.

Comment

I dont mean that they are sick, because they carry antibodies.

I mean they are sick because their immunesystem is constantly battling various infections. There might not be one single symptom that displays itself, and a lot of infections might be kept at soo low a lvl, that their symptoms not readily visible.

BUT: The inflicted uses a lot of energy on keeping his immunesystem at a hightend alert all the time.
            THis usually shows as symptoms of physical stress, reduced physical fitness, tiredness and increased energy demands.

Most adults can keep working and living, even with a quite high infection rate. A lot of children die.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
              One last thought.. germs are good for you. Why? For the same reason lifting weights are good for your muscles. Ingesting germs exercises the immune system. People who wash everything with bleach after each use are scary.. and probably much less healthy than those who don't. Not only do their immune systems atrophy, but they probably damage themselves by inhaling all those chlorine fumes.

From my understanding..the reason that Polio came too be in the early part of the 1900's was from improved sanitation methods employed. Thus children's immune systems wheren't taxed or were not weeded out by diseases
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                All polar bears are left handed.
                Prove it.
                Ever seen a polar bear write something using his right hand?

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

AFAIK polio was first described by dr. Michael Underwood, in 1789...

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Though there are many descriptions of lame and crippled children in the Bible and other early writings, the descriptions are typically too brief to be undeniably identified as polio-related. Still, there is a general consensus that cases of polio, if not sporadic epidemics, pre-date recorded history. As evidence of the early existence of poliomyelitis, Paul (1971) and other writers offer an Egyptian stele (stone carving) dating between 1580 and 1350 B.C. that shows a young man with an atrophied leg, which looks like a limb deformity that might have been caused by polio.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                      Ever seen a polar bear write something using his right hand?

Jörg
                      Just because you've never SEEN it rain in the desert, doesn't mean it never does.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

we'll have to find a picture of the coca cola drinking polar bears and see which hand they are using

edit:

aha! right handed!
                        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                          No, you fool, you'll cause the internet's stack to overflow with recursive links like that!

Didn't Doc warn us about something like this in Back to the Future?
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                          X