Shock test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock test?

I've just stumbled upon this photo accidentically, too busy to search about it, so...anybody here have quick answer to the qurstion "what the fvck they're up to"? :>

I guess that is what happens when really fat people jump in the water
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Just a guess: Testing anti-submarine defense?

Kevin

Comment

What strikes me as odd is that the ship is so close to the plume. The ship is probably 400-600 feet long (judging by the tractor trailers at the stern), and is within one ship length of the the "disturbance".

There's no-one visible on the deck of the ship, so I'd bet it's a test of some sort, with an old ship nearby to see the effects.

- Steve

Comment

whale farts?
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

This was from the movie The Abyss, right before the alien whatever comes out of the water.
            RC Agent
            AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
            AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
            AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Almost looks like another angle of an FAE test (fuel air explosive, or thermobaric weapon) picture posted some time ago.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by RC Agent
                This was from the movie The Abyss, right before the alien whatever comes out of the water.
                Was it?

I thought there was a flotilla of ships in that scene.

(and I can never watch that part of the movie without laughing. I just can't shake the idea of Chris Elliot being "the guy under the seats" on Late Night with David Letterman)

- Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                  Almost looks like another angle of an FAE test (fuel air explosive, or thermobaric weapon) picture posted some time ago.

Dr. Mordrid
                  One thing I noticed is the lack of any real markings on the ship. I see those two flags, but can't make them out. There's nothing on there that says "national flag."
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

When magnified considerably they look like maritime signal flags. What piques my interest are the white structures (trailers?) on the rear deck. They could contain instrumentation for monitoring a weapons test.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 August 2005, 21:39.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ship is USS Arkansas (CGN-41)

Link to page of original that Nowhere posted. Lots of other cool photos there.

Comment

Working...
                      X