No announcement yet.

Ugh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If those high ceilings are directly under the roof, don't run that ceiling fan that is pulling cold air up to the ceiling ! You will be greatly increasing the heat transfer from the roof . Unless you have some other reason, you want that to be dead air and allow the warmest room air to collect there.

6 degree increase in average temp will require your system to run more. Have you lost any shade trees in the last year ?

Take a look at the freon liquid line (small) inlet at the evaporator in the attic (or wherever it is inside the condo). If you see ice there, i would suspect you have very little freon. If the compressor seems to never shut off - runs for hours just to maintain temperature - low freon. Most systems run around 15-30 minutes to maintain temperature. Less than that will have a hard time controlling internal humidity (unless you are in a dry climate). IF your system has an expansion valve at the evaporator, it could be plugged partially - ice on the valve is a good sign.

The other thing to look for is a busted/large leak on the pressure side duct - ie you are cooling the attic ! Or you could have a break in the return air to the blower and be pulling air into the condo from outside.

Get a tech to read the pressures and go from there. He can also spend an hour and try to find the leak on the coils if you have to repeatedly refill the system.

Good luck.
    Last edited by degrub; 27 August 2005, 21:45.

Comment

That amount of poweruse would bankroupt me.
      The price pr kilowathour here in Denmark is steeeeep.
      I think Im paying about 0.26$ / KWH.

Do the math - and pale.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP
        That amount of poweruse would bankroupt me.
        The price pr kilowathour here in Denmark is steeeeep.
        I think Im paying about 0.26$ / KWH.

Do the math - and pale.

~~DukeP~~

Yeah I know I shut the AC off...it was pretty nice this past week..now its friggen humid as all hell now and I really can't afford another 200+ electric bill.
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

as rylan said, get the AC checked. a unit back from 87, not sure when the states changed over to 134a's, but it could be still running on r12 or if dusty memory serves me right r22.

the gas does not wear out, but a unit that old could very well have a small leak. or if you compressor is getting on, the reed valves could be going out, windings burned etc, and its become inefficient so its running more.

Also check your fridge/freezer. AC units and fridge/freezers are the biggest part of your power bill.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
          X