Electrical Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fat Tone
    You should make sure you have at least one 'ring', i.e. a cable going to your appt and returning, and not a spur (no return path).

Also, 15A sounds very low. As your mains voltage is only ~120 (cf 230 here in UK) your appliances will be drawing twice the current we see here. Rings here are often 30A fused, and a typical house will have separate rings for mains (one per floor for example) and lighting (albeit at a lower rating), and things like showers and cookers will be on high-rated spurs.

One 15A supply sounds woefully inadequate, even for a 2-bed appt. Dodgy if you ask me.
    FT,

Ring mains is a very dangerous (and expensive), uniquely UK system. Unfortunately, it's been adopted by a number of ex-colonies, including this one. If I had the choice, I'd rewire my house to the Swiss system, which is far safer and far more user-friendly. The US wiring regs do NOT allow ring mains, nor will you find the system on the Continent.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

From what I understand the 60 amp breaker is near your meter. The fact that your bill is 3x others is disturbing. 1st kill the 15A breaker and see if meter stops spinning. If so then your apt is just "under wired" and you need to have the landlord add additional branches to meet realistic standards of service. If the meter keeps spinning kill the 60A breaker and verify if the meter stops spinning. If it does leave it off during prime use time and see who comes checking/ complaining about their power, go from there on getting them to reimburse you for some of the bill AND get the landlord to have the place properly wired.. If it doesn't then report it to your power company as theft of service and let your landlord know you are doing so.
      Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

I threw a ring main in my garage two weeks ago. why are they dangerous?
        Let me dig out a good read on electrics..
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

hmm.. it's a PDF - on what cable/fuse/RCD to use and why. Very informative.
          Shout if you want me to mail it. It's only 230Kb
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I've been trying to track down info on Boston Electrical Strandards and coming up empty. I found some standards documents but not easy reads. I'm in the mode of calling offices but I'll probably not get anywhere till monday since the government offices are in Friday I won't be helpful mode.

I appreciate everyones help a great dea.

Paddy - would love that document send it to murc@claymonkey.net
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

The problem with my meter is that it's purely electric. There is no dial that spins, I just have a digital display that shows the number of kilowatt hours. I will try just shutting off the 15a and see what happens though.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

sent

Comment

Me too, Paddy

Sorry for the misinformation, I didn't realise it was a UK/colonies thing. I don't know about dangerous, if done properly. I think the main advantage is you can have more outlets on the same cable - fewer on a spur. Sure, a spur off a ring isn't as safe.
                  FT.

Comment

Got it Paddy. Thanks, I glanced at it but must now finish moving boxes from the storage room up to the apartment itself. My roommate and I are getting tired of that 'still moving in' look.

Comment

np!

Yeah, I had two spurs coming from a distribution box in the garage, i turned it into a ring with 7 extra outlets. Hehe 11 outlets in my garage

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                        Hehe 11 outlets in my garage

Only 3 less than me
                        FT.

Comment

right where can i put an extra socket

Well do you have a rack/server/switch/router/patch panel

Comment

I have a router in the garage, but that's used for shifting wood rather than data packets

Actually I just installed Cat6 around the house, to Luke's room and to the lounge for the HTPC.

Re the Garage: When we were in Spain (early August) I let a friend use the garage to empty his shed while he prepared for a new (larger) one. Long story, company went bankrupt, looking like early-mid October before he gets a replacement, and we still haven't sold the revolting settee...
                            FT.

Comment

Rotflmao :d

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey
                                The problem with my meter is that it's purely electric. There is no dial that spins, I just have a digital display that shows the number of kilowatt hours. I will try just shutting off the 15a and see what happens though.

a gizmo like this?

.. if you have a digital camera around, try taking a picture of your breaker setup, just so we can get a better idea what is happening
                                We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                                X