Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda RX8 - buy one or not?

Discuss.

I've wanted one badly since they were invented. It is a really good coupe and I can still squeeze the clubs in, and the family if forced.
    No way, too uneconomic and bad for the environment
    0%
    Yes, you get to say 'Wankle' when people ask what car you have
    0%
    Yes, but wait untill they revise it a little.
    0%
    FT.

They're good cars all around. Personally, they don't have enough power for me, so I'd have to wait for the Mazdaspeed version before I'd seriously consider it.

The only real downside is the mediocre fuel economy. Other than that, it's quite the unique car.

Comment

wankle hehehehe
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

not saying whether you should get one or not, but if you do, get a black one
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

You didn't give an option for "Ugly"

Besides, the engine is a wanker.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

If I had the free cash, parking space and my own petrol refinery, I would
            It's a clever design (love the suicide rear doors) with a screaming engine and apparently a fun drive.

If it needs more power, I found some nutters (Austraaaalians) who had wound nearly 300bhp out of the engine.
            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

They have turbo kits that add up to 100whp to them.

Comment

I want one of these so bad! It's such a weet car.

Apparently it's quite balanced and the engine.. I love it! Love the sound it makes too.

GET ONE NOW!!!!
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I wonder how well rotary engines handle N2O? All bottle, no throttle!

Comment

Not sure about N20, but FWIW, the rotors are forged, so they can handle some abuse.

But hell, I'd go turbo before I ran funny gas.

Comment

buy it.
                      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Yeah buy it! They're a little quirky, but there's nothing out there even in the same class. Very unique and cool vehicle.

One thing I heard from a Mazda service guy, don't ever let the engine run for LESS than 4 or 5 minutes. That apparently floods the engine very badly. They had a guy who wanted to move the car from one side of his driveway to the other, and the car had to be towed to the dealer for three days to dry it out. Weird.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                          Yeah buy it! They're a little quirky, but there's nothing out there even in the same class. Very unique and cool vehicle.

One thing I heard from a Mazda service guy, don't ever let the engine run for LESS than 4 or 5 minutes. That apparently floods the engine very badly. They had a guy who wanted to move the car from one side of his driveway to the other, and the car had to be towed to the dealer for three days to dry it out. Weird.
                          That's when you rev it up high (4-5000 rpm) then shut the engine off immediatly. Flushes out the cylinders. It's supposed to be a alcohol funny car trick, cause apprently alcohol fuel contains water that can damage the cylinders if it's shut off from idle.
                          Last edited by ZokesPro; 19 September 2005, 09:10.
                          Titanium is the new bling!
                          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Mazda are doing 0% interest at the moment, but that really means 50% deposit, pay the rest in 12 months (or give it back or whatever).

Used prices are starting to drop e.g. 18months old for £14k (new is ~£21k), so I reckon as soon as my youngest starts school ( = no more nursery fees) this should be a goer

For now, I have to continue dreaming...but thanks for the encouragement
                            FT.

Comment

Working...
                            X