Another Cat5 Monster Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Cat5 Monster Hurricane

This one is headed straight for my aunt, who lives 20 miles from the coast, in the very middle of the current projected path. Got to get her outta there
    Attached Files

Yeah, we have close friends down in Houston. I hadn't heard though that they'd upgraded the projection for the hurricane to a cat 5. Last I heard it was still thought to increase to a cat 4 from the cat 2 it was when it passed southern Florida.

Needless to say, if it continues on one of the project paths, we should be getting a decent amount of rain up here.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Yeah, been wondering what we're gonna get up here too, don't remember the last time a tropical cyclone made it up this far (and am too lazy to look it up also. )

Comment

897 millibars is the third most intense Atlantic hurricane on record. Only Gilbert in 1988 (888mb) and the Labor Day hurricane of 1935 (892mb) were stronger. Katrina only made it down to 902, Camille 909.

The worst of it is that I just heard them report it was showing signs of strengthening? Can they be serious? This is seriously not cool.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          897 millibars is the third most intense Atlantic hurricane on record. Only Gilbert in 1988 (888mb) and the Labor Day hurricane of 1935 (892mb) were stronger. Katrina only made it down to 902, Camille 909.

The worst of it is that I just heard them report it was showing signs of strengthening? Can they be serious? This is seriously not cool.
          Well - I hope my sister has a house to come back to. She lives in Galveston, but decided to evacuate with the kids yesterday. They should be safe in Austin by now (I hope).

- Steve

Comment

Its weakened slightly to 170mph and central pressure has risen to 907mb.
            Its still a giant beast however. Hopefully the atmospheric condtions will continue to be unforavable for strengthening and drop it to cat4 before landfall.

Comment

This is what, the 3rd hurricane in two weeks? (I remember there being a cat2 hurricane announced a few days ago or was it last week? correct me if I'm wrong)
              Last edited by ZokesPro; 22 September 2005, 08:27.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                This is what, the 3rd hurricane in two weeks? (I remember there being a cat2 hurricane announced a few days ago or was it last week? correct me if I'm wrong)

There was two other storms that formed right after katrina hit NO. One blew into Atlantic and the other hit South Carliona, but was pretty much a non event in the wake of Katrina.
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Rita has started to track further North than predicted which could be bad news for NO as it could come too close for comfort.

I'll copy a post of another Weather fan who's been very good at watching and predicting Hurricane Development. I don't think they'll mind see below.

Pressure has actually just dropped 1mb,I think this is all down to western side of the storm starting to get stronger again as as the dry air to the west decreases and shear is easing up a little,what this may well mean is its actually getting slightly stronger again and the risk of it gonig back upto cat-5 again must be ther eif recon finds deepening pressure again.

The other very bad thing,esp for LA and what I feared last night that this system is turning to the WNW faster then predicted moving at 300 degrees and wobbling to the Nw now,its gonig to be north of the forecasted point by a fair distance,and will likely miss the updated forecast map.The other thing this means is that NO will likely see some heavy rain from the outerbands,flooding once again in the city looks possible and in the NE quadrant of the storm a easterly surge straight into the lake and probably breeching the weakened flood defenses and probably tropical storm force gusts,maybe even sustained upto 50mph I reckon with gusts upto 65-70mph is my current reckoning at the least.I'll have a look at surface charts later to see what is causing the early shift,but I had a bad feeling this would happen,and puts LA once again firmly back into the danger zone again,as well as NO.

Watch the next advisory shift the forecast path eastwards once more as the northerly turn started earlier and getting slightly stronger again despite having structual changes and pressure at 915mbs,this is gonig to be a very intresting and probably scary night for those living in LA and eastern Texas,wit hthe risk now leaning towards western and maybe even central LA,pressure down to 903mbs winds upto 170mph again by the end of the night I fear.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Any bets that a lot of people reconsider living around the Gulf after this season?

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Someone just told me that gas is selling for $2/litre downtown. It's still around $1 up here. I'm gonna go top up.
                      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I heard there's a station up in Barrie selling for over $3/litre. That's some serious gouging.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I just went out to pickup dinner and top up. The lines were way too long. I skipped it for now. I've got 3/4 of a tank so I should be ok for a while. Someone on the radio said something about a $75 fine for filling a jerry can. Have you heard that?

I remember when we had that blackout a few years ago the police were fining gas stations who were gouging then. Too bad they won't do that now!
                          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                            I just went out to pickup dinner and top up. The lines were way too long. I skipped it for now. I've got 3/4 of a tank so I should be ok for a while. Someone on the radio said something about a $75 fine for filling a jerry can. Have you heard that?

I remember when we had that blackout a few years ago the police were fining gas stations who were gouging then. Too bad they won't do that now!
                            Gas here just dropped to $2.42/gallon here.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                            X