• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polymer/Soliton synthetic muscles....

Steve Ausin here we come....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I can't remember where I was reading it (maybe here) but I remember reading something about the US government funding a major effort to develop a new generation of prosthetic limbs that would work as well as real limbs. It had something to do with providing replacement limbs for the soldiers injured in the Iraq war.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Much of this is in conjunction with DARPA's Future Force Warrior project. Part of that is the creation of combat exoskeletons.

Other applicaions are also in the works including prosthetics, construction assistance, nursing care (moving patients) etc.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        Much of this is in conjunction with DARPA's Future Force Warrior project. Part of that is the creation of combat exoskeletons.

Other applicaions are also in the works including prosthetics, construction assistance, nursing care (moving patients) etc.

Dr. Mordrid
        There are many real-world (read: non-military but still vital) applications for this sort of thing.

A high school friend of mine is (or was, last time I saw him) an EMT. He was never small, but last time I saw him he was RIPPED. He was hitting the gym pretty obsessively. We asked him what the deal was, and he had this slightly haunted look in his eyes, eventually we got out the story - he "just wasn't strong enough" and someone died. Apparently it was an emergency situation and he couldn't effectively move the person. He had promised himself that he'd NEVER let that happen again - and God knows he was doing his level best and then some, he was at that point capable of benching two of me.

There are lots of jobs where lives hang on the ability to move someone who can't move themselves.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          There are lots of jobs where lives hang on the ability to move someone who can't move themselves.
          You know ... people my size

I helped the EMT lift a person into an ambulance on one occasion because he was too big for the regular EMTs to lift him. Makes me wonder how my small diabetic friend does it - he's obviously an EMT.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            You know ... people my size

I helped the EMT lift a person into an ambulance on one occasion because he was too big for the regular EMTs to lift him. Makes me wonder how my small diabetic friend does it - he's obviously an EMT.

Jammrock
            if you are serious, you do a regular workout that incorporates similar things. or you just do it a lot.
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I would still like to see how a 150lbs ems/firefighter would lift me out of a burning building @ 6'8" 300lbs
              sounds to me like they would indeed need a robotic power suit
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Who said anything about lifting? In worst case they have to transport you horizontally, usually even downstairs

/me can't wait for Metal Gear...

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                  Who said anything about lifting? In worst case they have to transport you horizontally, usually even downstairs

/me can't wait for Metal Gear...
                  Lets just assume the stairs are burning and the window is the only option

Comment

Even better when it comes to "no lifting"

Comment

Defenestration - the ONLY way to fly!
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                        Defenestration - the ONLY way to fly!
                        .. and a leading cause of world wars

Comment

Lithobraking - the ONLY way to slow down!

Comment

Working...
                          X