Unconventional use of Jaws of life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not that simple.

It's not just happening in North America and it's not just recent. If you track the documented extremely obese you find them going back hundreds of years and all over the globe. More people on the planet = more of them to document. Better communications = more people know about them.

Yes, diet has something to do with it....but so does genetics. Another factor could well be infectious in that weight gain is common in diabetes; an autoimmune disease. Some think that the immune system, reacting to a viral infection or some environmental factor, mis-identifies the islet cells in the pancreas and attacks them. Without their insulin, and therefore unable to properly process sugars in the blood, sugars get deposited as fat as a "rainy day" store.

Let this happen for decades (the vast majority of pre-diabetic and diabetic people are un-diagnosed), and.....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
      Firefighters use Jaws of Life to free 647-lb. victim from bathroom
      door. Ralph Sinclair, Chicago Sun 24-10-05
      LOL! You're an evil genius! I'm actually on page three of a thread inspired by a story from the Weekly World News. The Chicago Sun was a nice touch.

For anyone who isn't familiar with the Weekly World News, here's a useful link:

Note the paragraph on WWN's coverage of the obese.

You know, I think those bat boy stories started when I was in college.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        Back to that 1200 calorie diet; some would say "well then, drop to 900 calories", which is a definite no-go. 900 calories takes you below the minimum needed just for breathing and organ function, at which time your body shifts into starvation mode. In starvation mode it won't want to give up a bit of its energy stores, fat, and weight loss is near impossible.
        I'm curious what then happens for it to remain breathing and functioning... It limits functions of organs/methabolism? Uses other things than energy stores? (muscles, organs?...) Does both things?

Comment

Trough various processes brain function suffers then muscle tissue, including the heart, gets "digested" to support the brain. Not a pretty set of circumstances.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hmm...I must've been usually above the limit, I guess, in dorm (but seriously: as I understand, only continiuos not-eating has such effects, when it happens for a day for example, the reserves/fat are used as they should?)

Comment

The correct way to lose weight is to combine aerobic exercise and weights with the proper diet. Way easier to say than do.. you need to eat the right foods for your body type in small amounts every 3 hours. Total calorie count should be no less than 15% below your sustaining level to avoid starvation mode.

It would be easier to do this if it was a full time job.

If you can steal the time to make it, plain oatmeal in the morning is very good for this effort.. drinking unsweetened tea instead of cokes is another good step. I drink one protien shake/day to get enough protein without eating burgers and chicken, but you need to drink plenty of water daily as well.
              Last edited by KvHagedorn; 16 December 2005, 13:44.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                The correct way to lose weight is to combine aerobic exercise and weights with the proper diet. Way easier to say than do.. you need to eat the right foods for your body type in small amounts every 3 hours. Total calorie count should be no less than 15% below your sustaining level to avoid starvation mode.

It would be easier to do this if it was a full time job.
                You have to listen to your body too, you can't just do something cause that's what is most recommended either. Your body will tell you what it needs, you just have to litsen very carefully.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

" Man Dates Gal On Internet For Six Months -- And It Turns Out She's His Mother! "

"TASTY EATS OR THREAT TO MANKIND? POTATOES DEVELOP INTELLIGENCE!"

"DUMB POLISH HOOKERS PAY MEN TO HAVE SEX WITH THEM!
                  MEN who visit prostitutes don't have to spend even one dime, at least in Poland, where the hookers actually pay men to have sex with them."

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                    You have to listen to your body too, you can't just do something cause that's what is most recommended either. Your body will tell you what it needs, you just have to litsen very carefully.

That is true. Studies in the last decade show that blood type makes a major impact on what type of diet may work for you.....
                    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                    X