X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nowhere
    And can't you see this is the point?

Ehh...whatever...
    What's the point? Nobody is hiding anything there. You can go look at those pages.

The White House, believe it or not, has a shitty little network connection. Sure, it's tied into NORAD and DARPA and whatnot, but its basic web server? Probably some aging Dell poweredge purchased in 2000 when "dubya" first got elected.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

And can't you see this is the point?

Ehh...whatever...
      the point is, a search in google or whatever will more then likely bring up the news story with a link to the whitehouse server itself.

as gurm just said, you can go look at a the pages yourself, they are hiding nothing.
      if they want to hide something it won't be on the damn server to begin with.

There are lots of parts of murc that are blocked to bots - various other means then just robots.txt
      ssssh don't tell anyone I have plans for world domination stored in the moderators forum
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

No, you can't have plans for world domination. Remember - the USA has produced a STAGGERING percentage of the modern age's horrible dictators.

Oh wait... that'd be ZERO PERCENT.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

(OK, if this post won't say what I mean, I give up...)

Look at it as a Zeitgeist...

Comment

Nowhere. I know what your trying to say, go get a job managing large web sites, on restricted resources and discover the joy that robots.txt is.

There is no conspiracy, there is no hiding things, the site itself if you look at the same robots.txt file has its own search engine.

many sites have the same policy, try going to a large IC makers site, try googling for an abstract part number, good luck it showing up in google.
            Go to makers site, type in number. bingo, not in google.
            The internet is not free, as my CC card can testify too. believe it or not, most government web sites are increadably underfunded, something to do with a priority of feeding people and maybe having a few hospital beds.

There is nothing, i repeat nothing sinister about that robots.txt file - apart from it could probably have been coded better.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

(OK, if this post won't say what I mean, I give up...)

Look at it as a Zeitgeist...
              Zeitgeist: (noun) The spirit of the time; the taste and outlook characteristic of a period or generation.

Sorry, man. You're batting a thousand today. All hit to far-left-field.

Comment

What's sinister about, well, "Zeitgeist" of some kind?

Comment

Not everything is a conspiracy, Nowhere.
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Ehhh...why do I have impression that if anyone doubts something about US gov he is immediatelly called "conspiracy theorist"?
                    Actually, we have enough doubt of our government to go around.

Let's make this simple.

The majority of the entries in the robots.txt file are likely auto-generated by the content management system(s) being used for the site. Some of the blocked pages are simply a list of links to other pages (think a Table of Contents) that contains no content that would need to be indexed by a search engine. Yes, search engines use links to traverse the pages in a site; however, out of the blocked entries I checked, there were other entry points (or links to) the content in question. Other pages are alternative formats (visually and in a file sense) to other pages that are already present. Think plain text or print versions, which don't need to be indexed given that the content they represent is already being indexed.

The gist here is that there is a single point of entry to the content and there is a single instance of that content that will be indexed. This is of benefit to site in the form of limited bandwidth, to the search engine in the form of quality results, which also happens to be of use to the end users.

Most sites don't plug it all into the primary robots.txt file, but there is absolutely nothing unusual about this. If you're going to make an accusation about it, then just come out and say it instead of prancing around it.
                    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                      Actually, we have enough doubt of our government to go around.
                      No, didn't you KNOW? Everyone in Europe knows for an undisputed FACT that all Americans everywhere blindly follow the foolish whims of our elected officials. Duh!

Let's make this simple.
                      Nothing is simple when you're determined that it represents deceit! Y'know, like to most of us Harry Potter books are simple yet entertaining stories written to cater to the 8-10 year old crowd. But to Christians, they're SATANIC MANUALS OF EVIL! Most of us read them and go "hey look JK Rowling uses greek and latin interchangeably, because she wants it to sound cool for kids!" but the Christians go "MY GOD she must have researched ancient satanic texts - it's a precursor language to both latin AND greek!"

The majority of the entries ...

blah blah blah stuff conspiracy-minded Europeans won't read even if you make it simple blah blah blah

If you're going to make an accusation about it, then just come out and say it instead of prancing around it.
                      Ahh yes but then he couldn't act all smug and Euro-superior!

Hmm, I think I need a new word. Seuroperior? LOL! I like it!
                      Last edited by Gurm; 24 December 2005, 16:00.

Comment

:shakes head:

And some in US wonder why certain attitudes toward them...

Comment

Nothing is simple when you're determined that it represents deceit! Y'know, like to most of us Harry Potter books are simple yet entertaining stories written to cater to the 8-10 year old crowd. But to Christians, they're SATANIC MANUALS OF EVIL! Most of us read them and go "hey look JK Rowling uses greek and latin interchangeably, because she wants it to sound cool for kids!" but the Christians go "MY GOD she must have researched ancient satanic texts - it's a precursor language to both latin AND greek!"
                          Ease up a little. It's not all Christians (if all Christians thought that, Rowling would still be scribbling in spiral-bound notebooks in obscure coffee shops). Just a very small fringe of fundamentalists who by their actions and words reveal themselves to not be very Christian at all.

But Hell, you already know that. Why am I even troll-feeding anyway? Merry Christmas, y'all.

Kevin

Comment

:shakes head:

And some in US wonder why certain attitudes toward them...
                            I'd venture that those of us who care, already know the reasons why. Anyhow, that retort is a copout - an ignorant one at that.

Just explain what you're on about in plain English (or any other language we can translate) instead of these roundabout suggestions to it.
                            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Gurm provided definition...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                                Talk about painting with a wide brush and very little paint

FYI about 98.9% of all Christians DO NOT feel that way, nor are they guilty of the other things you rant and rail about ad nauseam. DO NOT paint the rest of the U.S. Christians for the behavior of the vast minority. It makes about as much sense as hammering the Sufi's for what Bin Laden is doing

In short sir; you are as bigoted, if not more so, as those you rant about.

Dr. Mordrid
                                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 December 2005, 18:36.
                                Dr. Mordrid
                                ----------------------------
                                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                                X