Real life "Lost World" discovered....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real life "Lost World" discovered....

Bruce Beehler, of the American group Conservation International, who led the month-long expedition last November and December, said: "It is as close to the Garden of Eden as you're going to find on Earth. We found dozens, if not hundreds, of new species in what is probably the most pristine ecosystem in the whole Asian-Pacific region. There were so many new things it was almost overwhelming. And we have only scratched the surface of what is there." The scientists hope to return this year.

The area, about 300,000 hectares, lies on the upper slopes of the Foja Mountains, in the easternmost and least explored province of western New Guinea, which is part of Indonesia. The discoveries by the team from Conservation International and the Indonesian Institute of Sciences will enhance the island's reputation as one of the most biodiverse on earth. The mountainous terrain has caused hundreds of distinct species to evolve, often specific to small areas.
    >
    >
    "This is a place with no roads or trails and never, so far as we know, visited by man ... This proves there are still places to be discovered that man has not touched."
    http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...icle343740.ece

Now if ony they can stop themselves from ruining it

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 February 2006, 04:26.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

HOT DAMN! That looks like a GREAT place to build a resort. We can have the clear-cutting equipment there in 1 month!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

They probably should have shut up and organized some secret society to protect it..

Comment

Hey! Maybe it's got oil!
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
          Hey! Maybe it's got oil!
          LMAO!!
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
          X