Very cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice. The future looks good
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Wombat, yeah, pushbuttons wouldn't be too hard, and in fact, I think VW has licensed this technology for future car touchscreens (so you can feel the buttons and don't have to take your eyes off the street) from some firm. I think they're using some kind of liquid or gel that expands. But rotary knobs? (Oh yes Zokes, I can already see the application )
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Knobs. He said knobs...

Scale it up to, say, lifesize???

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Now you're scaring me. The ordinary rotary knob I see here is at least 1 cm in diameter and 1.5 cm long - how large would you want it to be?

God, now I have "Let's Twist Again" stuck in my head.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
            I'm still waiting for tactile screens that can produce buttons that can be pressed. Rotary Knobs, dials and throttles would probably be even harder to produce, but a real tactile interface for a computer would be great.
            Your wait is almost over:
            Experts in haptic technology building touch experiences in the digital world

IMO, it is not a matter of eliminating one or the other. I have a Datahand keyboard for easier typing, and a Kensington trackball. But touchscreens do have their advantages (I first noticed this on my Psion: the screen is very small, so a mouse would be virtually useless). The different input technologies are complementary. You can do stuff with a touchscreen that you can't with other hardware, but same goes for keyboards and mice.

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
            X