Nazi swimming pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nazi swimming pool

(not meant offensive, I'm just in black humour today )

Should I feel bad about going to the swimming pool that is basically synagogue converted by Nazis?
    It's the closest to where I live, dammit...

Just wear a kippah, say kaddish and you'll be fine.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

There is virtually no place on earth where you can be where no harm has been done somewhere in the past. Should you always feel sorry because the grass you tread on was fertilized by the blood of innocents? Are you guilty of what happened to the synagogue? Are you more guilty now that you know what happened than you would be if you hadn't known? Do you approve of what happened? Do you, by using the swimming pool now, approve of the pogrome? If yes, do you, by traveling with a jet plane, approve of World War II, which greatly advanced development of such planes?
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Geesh, it's not like he _really_ felt a moral dilemma here....
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Whoa, it wasn't meant to be that totally serious...not telling you're not mostly (sorry, don't have time to thouroughly think about it now to say with certainity) right here, az

OK, beeing serious now - how the Jews generally feel about the places which were (are?) sacret in that way?
          Hmm...come to think about it, in my "hometown" there's also place marked on the maps as "old Jewish cemetary"...but there's nothing there anymore, except for suburb homes which gradually are built closer and closer...

edit: yeah, what Umfriend says.

Comment

Maybe you should not visit the tower of London.. look how many executions happened there.

Seriously, though, a swimming pool is kinda in bad taste to have put there, but at least it is not a garbage dump. I would rather religious sites remain religious. They could have put a church or cemetery there instead.. it would be more dignified and respectful.

Comment

Well, considering that the occupying Nazis did the rebuilding I guess it was all about beeing disrespectfull...and after the war it was simply left that way.

Comment

That question, when taken (too?) seriously, could lead to a very lengthy debate. Which proves that whatever you do about it, will end up leaving some people unsatisfied. Once you reach that conclusion, you understand that there's no way in which you can make everyone happy and the most important person left is YOU. So, go to the pool, have fun and it's rather cool you remember that once, it was a focal point for a jewish community where you live. Might not be that great, but it's still good enough
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I think that is about the onyl really sensible thing to do indeed.

Comment

It's freakin' concrete and steel, not something imbibed with some metaphysical manifestation of the NAZI's except in your own head.

AZ's correct: if you actually tried to avoid everything built by homicidal despots in your part of the world you'd have to move elsewhere or to the moon.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 March 2006, 21:39.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Surprisingly good post, TX
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                      X