A few PS3 details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nowhere
    So...please tell Cell CPU with its "DSPs" has enough juice to decode SACDs properly
    I only wonder if Sony will allow outputting it at proper quality through digital out (I seem to remember PS3 is supposed to have one...)
    *shrug*

Maybe, maybe not. Sony's SCD-1, which is considered one of the best SACD players ever built, ran $5000 when it came out. At the height of the SACD/DVD-A wars (which right now is only a sizzle) a good SACD player, that did it all the right way, cost $1000. And although I haven't kept up with SACD/DVD-A, SOn'y line of players still runs from $150 to $3000 USD. How good the cheap ones are, I have no idea.

On a side note, DVD-A and SACD do not allow digital out of high-res content. It's an anti-piracy measure that both use so exact high-res copies of their material won't end up on the net, only the low(er)-res CD component of the hybrid discs or analog recordings of the high-res content.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hmmm...and I wonder (damn, I wonder about a lot of things lately ) how the last thing attributed to poor popularity... Or the thing that you can't play SACDs on computer at all and DVD-A are awkward to play.

BTW, I seem to read somewhere that apparently large number of CDs released by Sony are actually hybrid SACD discs, and many people are building collection of SACD discks without knowing it. Is this true?

Comment

if you are an audiophile, no matter what tech the PS3 uses, it will SUCK for audio as compared to a straight out SACD and/or CD, DVD player etc.

This is because of the construction of the console. Being a console that is on a budget, you will not have the near the same quality of components that you would find in a normal CD player (ie motor etc.). The powersupply will be universal and power all power-hungry components of the console - wheras most quality players have 2 separate powersupplies, one for the transport and one for the DAC. Fans - PS3 will have at least a couple fans - which will no doubt cause some jitter - and don't expect it to be built like a tank either - won't be made from 1mm thick aluminum or something cool like that. Also the feet and how the PS3 is oriented will play a difference. The heat generated by the cpus and gpu will affect the quality of the signal. There are almost a limitless supply of factors that are needed in a quality player, and the PS3, or any console, simply won't be able to meet enough of them to satisfy myself as a quality audio source.

A quality CD player would easily outdo a PS3 even with SACD. (and by quality I do not necessarily mean a $10,000 player, a simple NAD or Cambridge Audio would suffice).

Of course, this is speaking as a junior-audiophile
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
          if you are an audiophile, no matter what tech the PS3 uses, it will SUCK for audio as compared to a straight out SACD and/or CD, DVD player etc.

This is because of the construction of the console. Being a console that is on a budget, you will not have the near the same quality of components that you would find in a normal CD player (ie motor etc.). The powersupply will be universal and power all power-hungry components of the console - wheras most quality players have 2 separate powersupplies, one for the transport and one for the DAC. Fans - PS3 will have at least a couple fans - which will no doubt cause some jitter - and don't expect it to be built like a tank either - won't be made from 1mm thick aluminum or something cool like that. Also the feet and how the PS3 is oriented will play a difference. The heat generated by the cpus and gpu will affect the quality of the signal. There are almost a limitless supply of factors that are needed in a quality player, and the PS3, or any console, simply won't be able to meet enough of them to satisfy myself as a quality audio source.

A quality CD player would easily outdo a PS3 even with SACD. (and by quality I do not necessarily mean a $10,000 player, a simple NAD or Cambridge Audio would suffice).

Of course, this is speaking as a junior-audiophile
          ROFLMAO!!!!

Comment

just went through this little article: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/16/so...tiple_impacts/

just wanted to focus on the following quote:
            Internet service is not only a feature of PS3 gaming, but of its AACS copy protection as well. If PS3 adheres to current AACS rules, then it must connect to the Internet separately from any other computer in the household - its connection must be dedicated.
            [insert storm cloud]
            /meow
            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
            Asus Striker ][
            8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
            Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

did I miss something??

edit: well, there is a lot that I missed (other reasons why the PS3 wouldn't be able to compete) - but I missed how my post was so funny
              Last edited by Mehen; 16 March 2006, 20:30.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                Because I don't remember reading that in the white paper ... time to double check ...

pulling up google search ...

well, what do you, there it is:

Disc Media
                CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
                DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
                Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Nifty. Most of us audio types have shunned the SACD/DVD-A battle. Unless you fork out for a good universal player, which I have never seen the need for, and the content is specifically recorded and mastered for high reolution ... it honestly doesn't sound any better than a well mastered CD on a low-end audiophile CD player (a $500 job with burr-brown, or equivelant, DACs).

Jammrock
                Oh snap I missed this post!! I see you are basically on the same side of the fence as myself

edit: yes I said "Oh snap"

edit: ohhhh yeah, now i remember the point of my original post - PS3 having SACD does nothing to wet my whistle - a useless feature if you ask me - stick to games Sony.

edit: figure I'd sneak in one last edit before I get a reply - most of my reasons for why it will suck I have taken directly from listening experience on both the PS2 and xbox, I have distinctly heard what almost seems like poor timing on the part of both players - they sound almost out of phase - which I believe is mostly due to the clutter of components in the consoles, I could go on and on...
                Last edited by Mehen; 16 March 2006, 20:57.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
                  just went through this little article: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/16/so...tiple_impacts/

just wanted to focus on the following quote:

[insert storm cloud]
                  1)Sony announced today that they will NOT downsample Blu-ray content for non-HDCP compliant devices. Showing that Sony, for the first time in their ilustrious history of failed devices because they refuse to listen to customers, is listening to the customers. At least a little bit.

Owners of analog HDTVs will not be left out of the Blu-ray HD fun, at least …

2)They have also stated that an internet connection of any kind will not be required to play Blu-ray discs, and as such should carry over to PS3 games, which are Blu-ray discs. This would also be suicide and cause revolts on the doorsteps of Sony HQ. Plus, remember that Sony is listening to customers all of a sudden (see point 1). An internet connection will only be required if you make a copy of the movie for your home network, to authenticate your network. Or something like that.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.11 ... saw the quote where this FAQ came from, but can't remember where.

3) The "PlayStation Network Platform" will be free, not for a fee. Fee-based premium content is pure speculation at this point.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=2495&Itemid=2 ... point 3

Comment

Coming in late, I noticed mention of SACD HD. What is that, the 4 bit DSD of the master tapes or something?

AFAIK, SACD are not better mastered than CD's are in any way. Having said that, SACD's issued titles are typically more classical, jazzy etc where the loudness war (nice name Nowhere) isn't raging. WHat is true is that many SACDs are remastered especially for the mutli-channel versions.

There are exceptions of course like "Tommy" (The Who). It was actually the CD that was remastered because they lost the original master tapes. Luckily, for the SACD, they later retrieved the original master and that is what ended up on SACD. The SACD is sooooo much better, just becuase of the superior master.

I think in general it is safe to say there will be $1,000 CD players that outplay any $1,000 SACD player wrt CD's. Similiarly, there are 1,000 SACD players that, whil eplaying SACD, will outplay any $1,000 CD player playing a CD.

I would not expect a PS3 to play anyhting near any other $200/$300 SACD player BTW although HW can be subsidised to move SW in this case, so who knows.
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                    X