Going to the UK in September...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the UK in September...

What should I expect the weather to be like? Besides the rain?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Probably UK'ish
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

September can be quite dry, and fairly warm (depending what you're used to of course!). Of course, it can be wet and windy and miserable. Rarely freezing though at that time of year. Which bit of the country are you going to? Broadly, the west is wet and the east is, erm, less wet...
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

As i don't live in the uk, this is all i can do to help:

First line is average rain in mm,
        second line is average days with rain (more than 1 mm per day),
        third line is average day temp.
        fourth line is average night temp.
        fifth (and last) line is average number of sunny days

Green line is night temp. and red line is day temp.
        Blue bars are rain in mm.

I know it's not much, but i use it when ever i'm going to travel, just to get an idea of temp. and rain.
        Attached Files
        Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
        ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Mmm! Have a good time, as you will have 148 sunny days in September
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Well I'm flying into London and spending the week traveling to Bovington and Duxford..then spending the weekend in Folkestone before heading home on Monday.

I'm meeting up with a friend of mine who is going to be visting family the week prior, so any suggestions on how to keep transportation costs down would be great...since we'll be taking either the train or cabs...

Comment

September is generally quite pleasant. Parents are happy because the kids have gone back to school and the nights are still quite light.

If you mean Bovington Camp in Dorset then it looks like you are doing a big triangle with London in the centre, so getting around by train should be fairly easy (all via central London), although if there is a group of you then a hire car could well be cheaper! Then you'll see just how little BHP you really need to get around
              FT.

Comment

www.journeyplanner.org is pretty cool for public transport around London.

You've found the gateway to Britain's national rail network. The portal to rail travel, including train times information, fares enquiries; promotions; and ticket info.

Is information about train times I think you can find out ticket cost too.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                  September is generally quite pleasant. Parents are happy because the kids have gone back to school and the nights are still quite light.

If you mean Bovington Camp in Dorset then it looks like you are doing a big triangle with London in the centre, so getting around by train should be fairly easy (all via central London), although if there is a group of you then a hire car could well be cheaper! Then you'll see just how little BHP you really need to get around

Well, We are hitting the Tank Museum at Bovington and the Imperal War Museum in Duxford. I believe we are spending a night or two at each one then heading to Folkstone for the weekend (for Euro-Militare) and spending Sunday night in London before heading back.

Renting a car would be an interesting idea, but I'm scared of driving on the wrong side of the road and paying $5 a Liter for fuel! LOL

I'm really looking forward to going..I never made it to England while I was stationed in Germany.

Comment

Rumor has it from a friend you'll need this:

Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                      Mmm! Have a good time, as you will have 148 sunny days in September
                      Whoops a bit of a typo there.......

I meant sunny hours, not days........

Although, 148 days of sun would be nice
                      Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
                      ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Well, you could get the equivalent of 148 days of sunshine into a month if some godlike character were to focus a giant magnifying glass on the area.. might get a tad warm though.

Comment

Working...
                        X