No announcement yet.

Lew "Clarabell the Clown" Anderson....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lew "Clarabell the Clown" Anderson....

Another "boomer" icon is gone. The last, and best, actor to play Clarabell on the Howdy Doody Show has died;

Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.

Lew Anderson, who captivated young baby boomers as the Howdy Doody Show's final Clarabell the Clown, has died at the age of 84.

The musician and actor died Sunday in Hawthorne, N.Y., of complications of prostate cancer, said his son, Christopher Anderson.

Long mute as Clarabell, Anderson broke the clown's silence in the show's final episode in 1960. With trembling lips and a visible tear in his eye, he spoke the show's final words: "Goodbye, kids."

Though Anderson was not the only man to play "Buffalo Bob" Smith's mute sidekick, he was the best, Smith said in his memoir.

With the Peanut Gallery looking on, Anderson used bicycle horns to give yes and no answers. For more expressive moments, he wielded a bottle of seltzer.

The show, which launched in 1947 when televisions were still a novelty, was the first network weekday children's show. Anderson joined "Doodyville," a circus town peopled with puppets and human actors and watched by a Peanut Gallery of kids, in the mid 1950s.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

He's actually the only Clarabell I ever knew (when I finally saw the show). Actually wish they had reruns so my kids could watch the show. It's not as hip as everything today, but it was just a good show.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
    X