I wish AMD had chosen BGA instead of PGA sor socket 989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish AMD had chosen BGA instead of PGA sor socket 989

So I got this phone call from a customer who wanted to know if we could diagnose a computer they bought from a mail order firm(hence called “computer heaven” “CH” ).

After I assure her that we (for our normal fee) will diagnose any computer (wherever they are bought) she continues to tell me that it’s the second computer they have received and neither of them ever started and that CH had first accused them of bending the pins on the graphics card (her words).
    The call ends with her saying that she’ll be in with the computer after she has talked with CH.

Before I reach the basement (where the we have the repair bay) someone from (Introducing one when calling someone is soo overrated these days ) CH calls and asks me of I’m okay with diagnosing the computer and fixing it and billing them instead of the customer.
    The way he sounds make me wonder if the other computer repair shop in town told him to take a long hike on a short wharf. (they did it to some of their customers but that’s another story)

She brings the computer in and the first I notice is that the psu has been pushed half a centimetre into the case and that the case was slightly deformed.
    Taking of the sides of the case reveals that the motherboard tray &, harddrive cage is bent out of shape and the Zalman cnps 7000b CU heatsink has ripped the cpu (Amd 64 4200X2) out of the socket bending a lot of those 939 (F****G) pins when it rebounded and tried to push the cpu back into the socket

Apparently the Royal Swedish Mail (Posten) could once again proudly proclaim that the rumour of them being jousted from the top position of package smashers are just rumours.

Straitening out all those bent pins took the better of an hour

Amazingly the computer booted and none of the hard drives was damaged

I called CH and told them and they told me it was the same fault as the last time

So they had apparently never understood that the padding in their packages was not enough and had just happily ass-umed that the customer had bent all those pins the first time the computer was sent back, and had just changed the cpu out and resent the computer with the same insufficient padding.

I wonder how much of the structural damage on the case was made in the first or second or third ride in one of the Posten’s package wans

CH said that they were going to demand that Posten would pay for the damage.
    Well, he can always try, their regulations say that packages has to be padded to withstand a drop from minimum 3 foot so they always says that the package was insufficiently padded

Sadly I didn’t get any pics
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Did you get paid?

Silly me, of course not.. only the cheesy purveyors of overpriced crap get paid. Join the crowd.

Comment

Offcourse I'll get payed

Otherwise I know where I'm going to stick my old Muffler
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I don't think BGAs would be the right answer, either. Have you ever had to re-ball a 939 pin BGA? Neither have I but I have had to reball an 85 pin package and it ain't no fun, believe me. The only reliable way to connect a BGA to the board is to reflow it, in which case it could never be replaced if something went wrong with the CPU. Furthermore, with RoHS coming in, in just 5 weeks, the BGAs will have lost the ductility of the 939 solder joints, and the Posten would literally have a ripping time breaking the CPUs from the mother board. Why do you think servers, but not PCs, have been exempted from RoHS?
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Apparently the Actual BGAs that exist don’t follow the concept art for BGA sockets I read about some time ago (around the time the p3 was new).

That depicted the cpu having half sphere's instead of pins that mated to a socket that had half sphere holes and held down the cpu in the same way as INTEL's LGA socket (ie not by gripping the connectors).

Such a design would not be susceptible to the damages the PGA suffered.

To Brian:

The latest rave in the actual BGA industry is apparently solderless BGAS

Comment

Planar contacts are notoriously less reliable than pins. To align 939 (or 775 or any large no.) spheres or hemispheres to make reliable contact, over time, to an equal no. of sockets, over, say, a 25 cm² package with uneven and varying thermal gradients would be a feat. Flexibly side-gripped pins would be inherently more reliable, if you did not have a brutal Posten and suppliers who build weak packages in weak packaging.

In a former life, I was the importer for Gateway and Austin computers from the USA into Switzerland. We never had a case of physical damage on a single computer due to handling over several years. I don't believe that they were mollycoddled in their 5000 km journey, either in bulk by ship or in individual cartons by air (I've seen cartons being thrown out of aircraft holds onto the tarmac). OK, CPUs, in those days, were 48-pin dual-in-lines with 0.1" pin spacings!

I'd much rather have a PGA with four or five contact points per side-gripped pin than solder-less BGAs with a single contact point per connection, hoping that the planarity of both the IC and the motherboard remains good over the lifetime. BTW, I've been professionally involved in electronics packaging for >50 years!
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I read this topic and said "THE WHAM IS OVERHEATING!"

We gotta PPG on the TKP with EQE for the BBC, PDQ!
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

hm...My posts must resemble wind mills

Comment

What the Hell is a WHAM????

( )

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

We gotta PPG on the TKP with EQE for the BBC, PDQ!
                    ?

Is it me or is Gurm really someone else? His posts lately don't resemble the old Gurm.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                    X