Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical question

So I'm having a discussion with a friend about this and I could totally be wrong but I don't think so. I'm am having a heck of a time finding the answer though.

I'm sure some of you remember my old thread at my last apartment about electrical problems. Well new place new discussions.

Now in the old place we could keep two 8000 BTU AC's on low and not blow the fuse unless we turned one up or the fridge kicked on. Now this makes me think that an 8000 BTU AC running on low is running at say... 4000 BTU and is then running at say 4 amps instead of the 7.5 amps its rated at. Thus not blowing the 20 amp breaker. Am I wrong in this theory? If I'm correct a 8000 BTU AC running on low is more energy efficient and uses less amps than a 5200 BTU AC running on high.

Links going one way or the other would greatly be appreciated.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

When the A/C is running on Low - low fan speed i take it, then what you have done is limited the demand on the compressor - in the form of how long it runs and how often, not the amp load. Anytime the compressor kicks on, the amp draw is usually the same , all other things equal. You just didn't run it as long. When you put it in High, then the fan is pulling more air over the coils, which then causes the compressor to run longer and more often. WHat can happen is when the compressor motor gets hot, it can draw more current on startup and that may have been what tripped your circuit. Also you were running each compressor more often, so the likelihood of both demanding a lot of current at the same time increased - hence more trips. ALso, more load on the circuit = more heat at connections = more resistance = more current draw because the voltage at the user has dropped= more heat - more res...you get the idea.

Actually, for maximium efficiency, you need to run the fan on high because what is limiting is the heat transfer between the air and the coils.
    Last edited by degrub; 2 June 2006, 16:17.

Comment

Like he said.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

So I was right and wrong. Oh well Thanks guys very much appreciated.

By the way don't have 'discussions' when you haven't slept well for three days due to heat and fitting two weeks worth of work into a 4 day work week. Trust me on this one

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey
          So I was right and wrong. Oh well Thanks guys very much appreciated.

By the way don't have 'discussions' when you haven't slept well for three days due to heat and fitting two weeks worth of work into a 4 day work week. Trust me on this one
          Psst! Damian! There's this non-booting machine over at the hospital...

*TWITCH!*
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

*twitch* *twitch*

Comment

Don't get me started!

MORE COFFEE!!! *TWITCH!*
              /meow
              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
              Asus Striker ][
              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

ahhh 8 hours of sleep makes the twitches go away.... for now

Comment

Working...
                X