Circumhorizon arc in western US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circumhorizon arc in western US

All the latest breaking UK and world news with in-depth comment and analysis, pictures and videos from MailOnline and the Daily Mail.

Rainbow that set the sky on fire

From BARRY WIGMORE, Daily Mail 10:58am 8th June 2006

In a breathtaking blaze of glory, Nature puts on one of its most spectacular sky shows.

Reds, oranges, blues and greens create a flaming rainbow that stretches above the clouds.

But this circumhorizon arc, as it is known, owes more to ice than fire. It occurs when sunlight passes through ice crystals in high cirrus clouds. It is one of 15 types of ice halos formed only when the most specific of factors dovetail precisely together.

This blanket of fire, covering hundreds of square miles, is the rarest phenomenon of them all. It was spotted in the US on the Washington-Idaho border around midday last Saturday.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I saw a circumzenithal arc once, was impressed by how bright and strong the colors were.

Check this site out for more on various atmospheric optical effects: http://www.atoptics.co.uk/

Comment

We see them frequently in Michigan, though usually smaller than the one in my previous post.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

very very cool. Nature is still the supreme artist.
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Yes she is. I love thunderstorms. Makes you feel really small and shows you the greatness of mother nature.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

So this is the name of the next Matrox GPU then?
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
              So this is the name of the next Matrox GPU then?
              damn, was my first thought too ... guess i should go out more often
              "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Working...
              X