Why there are helmet laws....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why there are helmet laws....

(Pittsburgh) Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery Monday to repair multiple facial fractures suffered in a motorcycle crash in Uptown earlier in the day.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition last night in Mercy Hospital, Uptown, said Dr. Harry Sell Jr., chairman of the hospital's department of surgery. Sell said the four surgeons who operated on Roethlisberger termed the surgery a success.

Sell said Roethlisberger was in the recovery room after coming out of surgery about 9 p.m.

"He suffered multiple facial fractures, all of which were successfully repaired," said Dr. Daniel Pituch, the chief of the division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Mercy Hospital.
    >
    >
    Physicians would not describe most of the injuries at the request of Roethlisberger's family, but city police said he lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch cut on the back of his head and a broken jaw, and injured both knees.

"He was bleeding really bad. There was blood everywhere. It was really, really bad," said bystander Lauren Mizak, 19, of Mt. Washington. "He was so banged up, I didn't even recognize him."

Roethlisberger, 24, was not wearing a helmet when he hit a Chrysler New Yorker at 11:15 a.m. on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge and Armstrong Tunnels. He was thrown from the motorcycle into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said one veteran city police officer.

IMO people who ride without a helmet are all candidates for a Darwin Award.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

agreed. full face preferable, my mug is ugly enough with out any reconstructive help.

worth noting, back in oz, we have helmet laws for push bikes as well
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

more: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_457731.html

If I had that much to lose, I would hope I would have the sense not to. This needs to get all sorts of publicity, with pics of his messed up face everywhere.. then maybe people will stop being so stupid.. but I think I know us better. No one will pay any attention.

Comment

When riding I look like a latter-day gladiator or a tester for the Future Force Warrior program. Too many nights working in the ER I guess

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_457685.html

IMO people who ride without a helmet are all candidates for a Darwin Award.

Dr. Mordrid
          Not to mention those that refuses to use their seatbelt
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well as obnoxious as this may seem, I still believe that wearing a helmet or seatbelt should be the drivers decision... natural selection in progress.
            That said, I have nothing wrong with insurance companies denying to pay anything for the person if they weren't wearing a helmet or seatbelt.

Comment

Absolutely I agree with Rylan 100%.

Let market forces work this out. Don't take away my freedoms in the name of protecting me from my own stupidity.

"Those who would trade freedom for security will get neither!"
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

While I am personaly in favor of helmet laws, those who don't wear them are one of the best sources of transplantable organs.
                So I am torn...
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

They don't call them Donor Bikes for nothing.

Personally, I think anyone over the age of 18 should be able to choose if they want to wear a helmet or seatbelt. I'll continue to wear both regardless of the law.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                    I'll continue to wear both regardless of the law.
                    You must look fairly funny driving around in your car with a helmet
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I've driven many a mile in a car with a helmet on. The car had a number and the speeds were well in excess of 100 mph at the time though

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                        You must look fairly funny driving around in your car with a helmet
                        ...or riding a bike wearing a seatbelt
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                          Well as obnoxious as this may seem, I still believe that wearing a helmet or seatbelt should be the drivers decision... natural selection in progress.
                          That said, I have nothing wrong with insurance companies denying to pay anything for the person if they weren't wearing a helmet or seatbelt.
                          Not me man. Suppose I f*ck up and hit a motorcyclist with my car. I'd much rather deal with the guilt of hurting a guy rather than killing him - not to mention the lawsuit. I had a girlfriend who had someone randomly choose her car to jump in front of to commit suicide, and she still has trouble driving near pedestrians because of it.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wear a helmet when on a motorcycle, and I wear a seatbelt in the car.

That said, I am firmly opposed to legislation insisting that I do either. If I want to do something stupid that gets me killed, that's my prerogative.

When Massachusetts first passed this ridiculous "click it or ticket" law, I purposely drove around for a month without the seatbelt. Protesting, and all. It didn't make any difference but it made me feel less angry at the ridiculousness of the law.

Seatbelt and helmet laws rank right up there with anti-smoking laws, prohibition, and blue laws about sexual practices.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Helmet laws aren't all about you. Unless you absolve everyone else of any blame for things that happen to you because you're not wearing a helmet, even if it's their fault. Even then, you can't take away the emotional trauma.
                              Last edited by Wombat; 13 June 2006, 10:18.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X