Transformer Houses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformer Houses

Our Canadian members might be familiar with this, but it's the first I've heard of it...

architectural conjecture :: urban speculation :: landscape futures

In 1987, Canadian photographer Robin Collyer began documenting houses that aren't houses at all – they're architecturally-disguised electrical substations, complete with windows, blinds, and bourgeois landscaping.
    "During the 1950s and 1960s," Collyer explains in a recent issue of Cabinet Magazine, "the Hydro-Electric public utilities in the metropolitan region of Toronto built structures known as 'Bungalow-Style Substations.' These stations, which have transforming and switching functions, were constructed in a manner that mimics the style and character of the different neighborhoods."
    Coming from an architectural and design background, that's damn neat. In school we studied some theory behind blending non-flattering structures into the surrounding area by why of architecture, but this is by far one of the best examples of it.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

The first "house" on that page is about a 5 minute walk from my place. If anyone's interested, it's approximately here:

The arrow is not quite in the right spot, it's actually two houses to the east, the last one before the traffic circle. I walk by it all the time when we go for walks through the neighborhood.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

damn, and here i was hoping to see house that transform into giant robots. :|
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Isn't this how Tripticon came about?

Comment

We had a water whatever station thingy concealed as a house built just recently only a few hundred meters away. I'll see if I can snap a picture or two tomorrow.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
          X