"Blood: The Last Vampire" (2007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Blood: The Last Vampire" (2007)

CANNES -- Bill Kong, producer of "Crouching Tiger" and "Hero," is to reteam with helmer Ronny Yu for "Blood: The Last Vampire," an English-language adaptation of a best-selling Japanese manga comic series.

Yu recently directed "Fearless," the Jet Li-starring actioner that with "King Kong" heads the B.O. standings in China this year, with a gross exceeding RMB100 million ($12.5 million). Kong produced "Fearless" through his Hong Kong-based Edko Films.

"Blood" will be produced by Edko with France's Pathe group.

Kong says "Blood" will likely shoot in a mix of English and other languages. Unlike most of Kong's recent oeuvre, it will not be set up as a Chinese-qualifying co-production and will not shoot there. He is currently scouting locations in Japan, Russia and the Philippines.

Story of an undercover vampire hunter who discovers that two of her best friends are fiends was previously filmed as an animated movie by Japan's Production I.G. helmed by Hiroyuko Kitabuko. Production I.G. has since released a spinoff comic "Blood: The Last Vampire 2002" and has announced a TV series.

Kong is also producing Zhang Yimou-helmed epic "Curse of the Golden Flower." Both "Fearless" and "Flower" are repped in international markets by Gotham's Focus Features.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Interesting. The 45-minute anime movie was bloody and violent even for an action anime. Never read the manga, though the story is pretty cool. Looking forward to a Hong Kong treatment of it.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I've only seen bits of the anime movie, but it was definitely overkill in the violence department, which is par for the course in that sort of anime

But it's yet another vampire flick. Sure we love them, and there's no doubt they're popular, but it's spawning such wonderful things as a TV show based on the Blade movies.

Still, looks cool.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
      X