How Superman returned: studio execs on acid :-P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Superman returned: studio execs on acid :-P

This Wiki article encompasses all failed Superman film projects of the 1990s;

Superman Lives, Superman: The New Movie, Superman V: Reborn, Superman V: The Man of Steel, and Superman V: Destruction

Warner Bros. spent 17 years, three (confirmed) directors, nine screenwriters, and somewhere in the area of $50 million in pre-production without a single frame of film having ever been shot.

Some of those scripts must have started in a crack pipe

Example: Kevin Smith was given some rules for writing a Superman script by producer Jon Peters;

Smith personally presents his 80-page film treatment to the eccentric producer at the latter's home. Peters is intrigued, but insists that if Smith is to take the job, he must follow three rules:

1. "I don't want to see him in 'that suit'."
    2. "I don't want to see him fly."
    3. "He's got to fight a giant spider in the third act."

The production of the screenplay is a tug of war between the two as to what should and should not go into the script. Among Peters' notes to the writer were:

Brainiac must fight polar bears in the Arctic

Brainiac should have a furry dog of some sort, "like Chewy" (Peters got the idea from the 1997 release of the Star Wars: Special Edition)

Brainiac's sidekick, L-Ron, must be a "gay R2-D2 type" voiced by Smith's Chasing Amy star, Dwight Ewell

Superman's suit must be something he can piece together, a la Batman

Smith must cut back the length of dialogue on a crucial scene between Clark and Lois at Mount Rushmore

the removal of all references to the name "Kal-El" (Peters did not know it is actually Superman's real name).
    L-Ron??!!

Anyhow; Peters finally got his giant spider, albeit mechanical, in "Wild, Wild West" the following year.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 June 2006, 19:51.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Wow. It's interesting to see the directions the planning for a new Superman movie took. There's been the rumours for years now about it, but to actually read about all the various scripts and production people attached to it... crazy.

Really like Kevin Smith, but I do think his script would have been too rooted in the comics to be of any mass appeal, which, let's face it, is important. Singer on the other hand seems to have a firm grasp on what to bring in and what to leave out. X2 was proof of that.

Peters... what a f* a$$hat.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
    X