No announcement yet.

Basement project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes I ran CAT 5 for both voice and data, so four outlets three cables each, which are pretty flexible in that at the bix panel I can make any cable voice or data.

I only ran one RG6 cable since I have a Satelite receiver and only need one TV in my room

Also the person building the room will add 2 inch conduit from the electrical panel where everything is to the unfinished part of the basement, for future use.

We decided on Laminate flooring since he is going to include very good subflooring which will not effect the laminate, meaning he will add an inch worth of material (don't know exactly what) and then a peice of plywood on top all screwed down. The on top of that he will add the Laminate so it's a good distance from the concrete floor.
    Our basement is pretty dry, been living in this house for 2 years, and nothing so far, however we have a drain so what he'll do is buy a "one way flapper" so water can only do down the drain not up in case of a sewer flood etc.

Also I am going with pot lights with dimmers and a sealed ceiling (drywalled) because our basement is not that high, drop ceiling takes from the overall height, and I'm a tall dude so every bit of height counts.

still don't know what I want to do with speakers, I may just run them freely around desks and stuff, we'll see.

A Gigabit switch will do just fine down there, as long as the ports are configurable 100/1000

Cheers for all the assistance!

I'll keep y'all posted!

Comment

Sounds like you have it all under control... adding any noise proofing to your ceiling at all?.. I just did in my brothers bedroom, as it was directly below ours.. makes for strange times I tell ya. I got the needed information from the avs forum on soundproofing. It works rather well .. so in your case, loud lan parties, without anyone upstairs being bothered by it

The flooring is the holmes on homes 1" foam with plywood floor.. it is nice and warm, and only really suitable when the floor is dry.

Just remember the gigabit switch is on sale today only.. if you want that particular model..
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Another great point about the soundproofing, I would definetly need it since I like to crank up the speakers when editing or watching movies, (oh and LAN parties too )

The switch is a bit big, I need something a bit smaller to fit in the side panel, That's the last thing I'll do.

Thanks for the input

Comment

If you are going with sound proofing, don't fall for the "just stuff roxull safe and sound in the rafters before drywalling" fix.. it does not do much at all..
          The makes of green glue has a wealth of information on sound proofing, not just to sell their products.

Adding RISC1 clips with resilliant channels + fire rated drywall will help alot.. but they are not giving those away. The Toronto area supplier of RISC1 clips charges $7.5 / clip
          If you do not have many cables in the ceiling, you can add a "weaved" ceiling where you install new joists an inch or so lower than the ones holding your floor, hence totally decoupeling your ceiling. Works well.

Comment

Dunno if you already took care of the power, but if your gonna be having multiple semi-hi powered PC's running during ur LAN gaming, you might want to ensure that you have a dedicated circuit for the room, heck even 2 if you got alot of other high power equipment in there.
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

see if you can get a drier plug (220V) and adaptor to 120v in there to handle all the computers.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                see if you can get a drier plug (220V) and adaptor to 120v in there to handle all the computers.
                Bad idea.. defenitely not code

a couple of standard 15A receptacles are all which is needed... alternate them on different breakers if you want the extra capacity

Comment

ah i c, I will have to alert my friend who has done that

edit: post 999!
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
                    Dunno if you already took care of the power, but if your gonna be having multiple semi-hi powered PC's running during ur LAN gaming, you might want to ensure that you have a dedicated circuit for the room, heck even 2 if you got alot of other high power equipment in there.
                    Yup that is done

Cheers,
                    Elie

Comment

Our basement has 3 - 20 amp user circuits divided into ~16 outlets running the perimeter, mainly to power the freezer, craft/wood shops & computer lab
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

In Canada, at least Ontario, you are not allowed to have any light fixtures on a 20A breaker.. strange rule but this is the way it is, so if using 12 guage cable + 20A breakers, you can only use them for outlets, and the outlets must be the T slot type, rated at 20A.

Comment

Odd indeed. I use 12/20 for every circuit run & the inspectors love it.

My late father-in-law was a fire marshal before he became a fire chief and he did likewise. The logic is that most home electrical fires are due to overloaded circuits, and it's quite hard to overload a 20 amp circuit

I also use GFCI breakers.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 June 2006, 10:19.
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Here are some pictures of my room in the basement

The remaining part of my basement will be completed later, and we decided on ceramic tiles!

Cheers,
                            Elie
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X