Got lucky last Saturday.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got lucky last Saturday.....

............and NO, it's NOT what you're thinking!

Got to see this live.

Look here

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Had to check the author twice; thought agallag was back early from his honeymoon

KEWL!!

I've seen several (relatives at KSC), but the biggest thrill was watching Apollo 12 & 16 go up. Imagine seeing that hugh Saturn V shockwave come at you
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Damn! Save Target As doesn't work!

Some people have all the luck!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        Had to check the author twice; thought agallag was back early from his honeymoon

Well, I didn't want to hijack his title, yet it was a pure luck to see it happen.

Not many that had the opportunity to see it on the very first try. On the site I’ve met a couple from Atlanta area, they drove to KSC last week, went home, came back again, spend the whole morning on Friday waiting for the lunch that didn’t happen….

For me, I was going to go down there on Friday, but it made me feel so guilty for leaving my kids & wife at WDW…. So I’ve rented a minivan & took off with all of them to the Cocoa beach, to collect some shells. Turned the radio on just to find out they had moved the launch again. So I’m thinking, darn, they’re simply waiting for me to show up!

To be honest with you, luck does account only for 25% of that. The rest was my 10 months old Matthew’s work. He became so sweet, smiley and playful with strangers (NASA female employees) it did payoff with a single ticket to the NASA viewing site!
        I love this little guy!

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ
          Damn! Save Target As doesn't work!

Some people have all the luck!

Kevin
          Try this;

STS-115 launch (26mb WMV)

Downloaded the NASA *.mp4 file and converted it to HQ WMV @ 640x480.

And for good measure here's SpaceX's simulation of the Dragon capsule docking with the ISS;

Dragon at ISS (10mb WMV)

Right-click "Save As...." for both.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 September 2006, 23:51.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Have seen a rarer event at Cocoa Beach, a shuttle being returned to CC piggy-backed on a plane. I have some footage of it somewhere, complete with camera shake. Might run it through SteadyHand.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by ND66
              ............and NO, it's NOT what you're thinking!
              Isn't that type of movie often used to suggest what we are thinking...?

But way cool!

Reminds me of this outtake, where a couple of journalists could follow the launch live. So they were filming this launchplatform, and when the countdown reached 0, there was a lot of noise, but nothing moved on the platform.... They were filming the wrong one! The camera then panned to the correct platform, but the shuttle was almost out of sight.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                Isn't that type of movie often used to suggest what we are thinking...?

Jörg

I'd never do that!

Comment

Very nice Hi-Res pictures here:

Comment

Not to sound ungrateful, but you think they'd be able to afford to host some of the full resolution high-def videos. I've got a couple 720p videos from older launches and they looks awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X