No announcement yet.

Coup in Thailand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what type of power, policies and laws change in these coups? They seem so calm that there doesn't seem to be a lot of anger or need of revolution.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Well, the main issue is that there was very strong political pressure to drive the Prime Minister out...and he just would not go. He kept winning elections because of his nationwide support (and occasional bribing of a farmer or two), so they saw that he could not be ousted through traditional democratic means. They dissolved the constitution essentially because they want to undo certain changes he made to the tax system & such, which seemed to directly favor him and the wealthy elite class.

Honestly, I think it's all a bunch of crap, he did a better job than nearly all Thai leaders before him and that's why he kept getting re-elected...he actually did help the poor, but also used tax loopholes to get away with selling a 4 Billion $ telecom. company he owned without paying ANY tax. Naturally, being the richest and most powerful person around, him and his family quickly made a ton of enemies, especially in Bangkok.

The turning point seems to have been his straining relationship with his military commanders...Thailand may have seemed like a democratic society, but in terms of press & other civil liberties, it remains a police state under army control, same as it has always been. Basically, you screw with them, you're pulling the rug out from under yourself. He made this mistake and has now paid for it.

But I repeat, no blood has been spilt and there is little reason to think anything major will happen...most of his family (and money) is not in the country, since rumours abounded for the past couple of weeks about something like this, and his party is very weak without him and are highly doubtful to do anything.
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

So how's life in Bangkok today? We have to make the decision tonight whether or not to cancel the Bangkok segment of our trip. We're also using Bangkok as a hub for several other flights, so it'll take a lot of changes (and a fair bit of money) to avoid the city.

What do you think Lecter?
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I say go for it, everything has been fine so far...the PM is not going to do anything, the King has spoken and that's what counts, no one goes against him.

Traffic was as heavy as ever today and everything was open for business, no military presence that I could see (though I didn't go in the governmental/Royal Palace area), basically everyone is carrying on with business like nothing ever happened

BTW, be aware that you'll be flying into here in the first couple of weeks of service for the brand new airport...if possible, don't check in anything you have a dire need for, because you know the chaos that potentially ensues with openings.

I'm sure you'll love Thailand, it's a great place to be! Even the coups are happy and laid-back

Comment

Cool, that sounds like good news. Now I just have to convince the wife that it's still safe to go...
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world to be in (for foreigners)...I've been coming and going here for the past 12 years and living fulltime for the past 4. In this time, in a city of over 10 million people, no one I know has ever been a victim of petty or violent crime. The locals are very nice and want people to come here and enjoy themselves (and leave some cash ).

If it's not possible to change your wife's mind, may I suggest hubbing through Kuala Lumpur? It's like Thailand, but with slightly less wide smiles and quite a bit more modern Western civilization

Comment

Kuala Lumpur is the alternate. We are spending 4 days there at the beginning of the trip anyway. The wife's grandmother lives there. Hopefully I can talk her into leaving the plans as is though.

Comment

Found photos from it on flickr accidentally, seem there really isn't much to talk about

Flickr photos, groups, and tags related to the "coup" Flickr tag.

Comment

Looks like we're coming to Bangkok after all! My wife is still nervous as hell, but I'm actually kind of excited. Wish us luck!

Comment

Good luck & enjoy!
                      Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy

Comment

Working...
                        X