• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Apocalypto"

Dec. 8, 2006

Director: Mel Gibson

Writing: Mel Gibson, Farhad Safinia

Cast: unknowns

Plot Outline: As the Maya kingdom faces its decline, the rulers insist the key to prosperity is to build more temples and offer human sacrifices. Jaguar Paw (Rudy Youngblood), a young man chosen for sacrifice, flees the kingdom to avoid his fate.

Trailer....

Austin, TX Fantastic Film Fest preview....
    A peaceful forest village is attacked and brutally ransacked by a more "civilized" group of Mayan warriors, and there is much horrific violence before the village's strongest men are captured as slaves.

Basically, Act I is the intro and the attack, Act II details the long and terrifying journey towards the agressors' astonishing kingdom, and Act III is (literally) a 40-minute foot chase through the unkind wilds of ancient Mexico. I'll admit that during Apocalypto's opening act, I was getting a distinct Rapa Nui vibe, but once the characters were delineated and the action started rolling, I was stuck knee-deep in the movie, entirely fascinated by where it was taking me.

It's a unique, challenging, visually beautiful and harrowingly violent piece of filmmaking -- and I definitely look forward to seeing the movie again, once it's been polished in post-production and trimmed down just a bit.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 September 2006, 15:38.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

the new trailer got me very interested in the movie. Mel makes some superb movies. Very violent...very good.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

He was just here in Oklahoma for some screenings that were supposedly cancelled (but obviously not).

Despite the flack he gets for some of his views, Mel has made the transition from a good, if not always great, actor to a superb producer/director.

Looking forward to this one more so than I thought I might initially. There's no emotional attachment to the characters from previous films and there's likely to be far less commotion than there was for some of his more recent works (British historians much be relieved; another film they don't have to mull over).
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

The only thing I can say about this movie is that I laughed at that goofy frame in the trailer where he's standing there looking like a madman.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
          the new trailer got me very interested in the movie. Mel makes some superb movies. Very violent...very good.
          Ehrrmmm, I can't say any of that about Ransom, Signs or Payback..
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            really? i saw the trailer in the cinema and thought "what a a boring thing" .....
            "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
              Ehrrmmm, I can't say any of that about Ransom, Signs or Payback..
              He didn't direct any of those. Payback I liked, Signs was ... well, it was M. Night Shaymalananaynaya, so you can't expect an action packed thriller. I never watched Ransom, so I can't comment. But the movies he has personally directed have been good.

Director - filmography

Apocalypto (2006) (post-production)
              The Passion of the Christ (2004)
              ... aka The Passion Recut (International: English title: cut version) (USA: recut version)
              Braveheart (1995)
              The Man Without a Face (1993)

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
              X