Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limassol Police Chase Drug Dealer

Limassol Police Chase Drug Dealer

A 23-year-old man was arrested yesterday after police found drugs and a weighing scale in his car.

He has been remanded for four days and faces charges of drug dealing, possession of narcotics, dangerous driving and grievous bodily harm.

The man was driving in Limassol yesterday (January 18th) when he was flagged down in a random check by traffic police. Instead of stopping, he picked up speed and rammed into a police constable, injuring him and crashing into a squad car. Two officers were injured in the crash and taken to hospital, where they were treated and released.

Upon searching the suspect's car, investigators found cannabis and a weighing scale.

Drug dealers face years in prison under Cyprus laws; yesterday a 28-year-old man was sentenced to 12 years for possession and dealing.

Reported January 19, 2007
    Ah well, another one out of the way for a l-o-o-o-ng time, probably 15 years with that lot thrown at him. If the idiot had stopped, he would have been given a breath test and allowed to go on his way, assuming the marijuana was not visible and he wasn't over the limit (BTW, high here at 0.09%).
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

14 years for cannabis

Dealer jailed for 14 year

A DRUG dealer was jailed in Larnaca yesterday for 14 years.
    “The victims of drugs are now many of our citizens, who are led to tragic dependency and even to death,” the Court heard before the sentence was announced. “Those who traffic and provide drugs are effectively selling death or causing the total destruction of users’ health and they create anxiety and despair to those around them.”
    Stavros Panayiotou, 29, and another defendant had admitted to four charges of conspiring to import 6,453 grams of cannabis and provide them to others. The drugs were found in Panayiotou’s possession last November 22 as he arrived at Larnaca Airport from Holland.

He admitted to the crime, telling investigators “he’d made a mistake”.
    The 29-year-old ex-waiter had reportedly been acting in a suspicious manner while awaiting his suitcase at the luggage area, prompting a Drug Squad officer to lead him to the customs area for a check.

The officers found five packages in his suitcase, wrapped in gift paper. In the packages, they discovered 14 bags containing the cannabis.

Comment

14 years for 6.5K of cannabis. Wonder what the importers of tons of tobacco products get. Speaking about tragic dependency and even to death.....
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

You'd think that the drug sniffing dogs would have pinpointed him the minute he stepped into the airport. The smell is so damned strong that it's almost impossible to conceal.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yup, they are tough here on all kinds of "recreational" drugs. One half-smoked joint = 3-6 months. One speed tablet = 1 year, 10 speed tablets = 12 years. 1 g heroin or cocaine = life. Doesn't necessarily stop it altogether, but most convictions are geared to either tourists bringing them in or to locals supplying tourists. However, compared to western European countries, this is relatively drug-free.

Comment

Why anyone would try and smuggle drugs through an airport nowadays is beyond me.

Comment

These dealers are not the smartest people.
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Here in the US if you have enough to qualify as a "dealer" (amount defined on a drug-by-drug basis) could well get you life, as in natural life; they carry you out in a box.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                  Yup, they are tough here on all kinds of "recreational" drugs. One half-smoked joint = 3-6 months. One speed tablet = 1 year, 10 speed tablets = 12 years. 1 g heroin or cocaine = life. Doesn't necessarily stop it altogether, but most convictions are geared to either tourists bringing them in or to locals supplying tourists. However, compared to western European countries, this is relatively drug-free.
                  You wouldn't get much more than a slap on the wrist for any of that here. For the joint I'm not sure if you would get a slap on the wrist at all, depends where you are doing it, and what you are doing at the time.
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I also think 3-6 months for half a joint is really over the top. For the record, I don't do illegal drugs (tried joints a few times, didn't like them; don't want to try harder stuff), but I also think cannabis - used "responsibly" (you know, like drinking "responsibly") - is really not that bad of a drug. Certainly not worse than alcohol. At my uni, there are more people smoking joints between classes than drinking, many don't even hide it. I would find it much more disturbing to have drunk people sitting in every class.
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
                      You wouldn't get much more than a slap on the wrist for any of that here. For the joint I'm not sure if you would get a slap on the wrist at all, depends where you are doing it, and what you are doing at the time.
                      anything less than half a oz of MJ and the police won't even bother. the worst that can happen is that you get your stash confiscated.
                      /meow
                      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                      Asus Striker ][
                      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Many Asian countries have a no-tolerance policy on even minute quantities of drugs, even capital punishment. From Wikipedia, Singapore:
                        Under the Schedule 2 of the Misuse of Drugs Act,[1] any person found in the possession of more than the following quantities of drugs receives a mandatory death sentence:
                        * Opium: 1,200 g, containing more than 30 g of morphine
                        * Any controlled drug (except opium): containing more than 30 g of morphine
                        * Diamorphine (Heroin): 15 g
                        * Cocaine: 30 g
                        * Cannabis: 500 g
                        * Cannabis mixture: 1,000 g
                        * Hashish: 200 g
                        * Methamphetamine: 250 g
                        Also receiving death sentences is any person caught manufacturing
                        * Morphine, or any salt of morphine, ester of morphine or salt of ester of morphine
                        * Diamorphine (Heroin) or any salt of diamorphine
                        * Cocaine or any salt of cocaine
                        * Heroin
                        See also this CNN report

Note that I'm not promoting capital punishment for drugs offences, but I am in favour of very long prison sentences, even for simple possession of small quantities.

Incidentally, there is a report of an arrest of guy yesterday with 3½ kg of cannabis, so he has the doubtful pleasure of a 12-15 year holiday awaiting him.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                          Note that I'm not promoting capital punishment for drugs offences, but I am in favour of very long prison sentences, even for simple possession of small quantities.
                          I think that is unethical, LOL! Why would you deny any mature individual to posses and use whatever they want?
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

@Brian: Did you know that in some countries, the punishement for drug possession is far worse than the punishement for pedophiles? Either way, I 100% agree with Umfriend.

Comment

And where would that mature individual get his stuff? From a dealer, of course. And to whom would the dealer to sell? Only to mature individuals, of course, at Havenaart (sp?) prices, to boot? Personally, I have no issue if a mature individual wishes to compromise his mental stability with a dose or two of meth, but he will be on a downward spiral towards destitution. However, I consider that it is unethical if that previously "mature" individual has to rely on my social security costs to remain alive. Then there is the question that said dealer would incite schoolkids and other who are not mature individuals to get hooked, and that is ethical, isn't it?

In fact, I would go so far as to say that any person using a drug is not mature, at the time. Therefore your statement becomes a paradox.

Drugs are therefore unethical because they prey on the weak, not on the mature. I therefore prone hefty prison sentences, if only to keep the dealers off the road, either because they are locked away or because their clients are. Not to mention all the other crime committed to allow addicts to keep their habit going.

So, frankly, to hell with your argument of ethics. Drugs are not ethical, period, full stop.

Comment

Working...
                              X