Eragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eragon

So Julie had enjoyed the book, and I saw this on the shelf at Target for $13.99, so I said "What the heck" and grabbed it.

Uh...

It was pretty much on-par with the "Dungeons and Dragons" movie. The first one. I didn't watch the second one, nor will I watch the third.

The special effects budget must have been HUUUUUUGE, but... wow. Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, and Rachel Weisz all put together couldn't uh-hamify this movie.

Still, I enjoyed it well enough. But I am having doubts about the books now.

Edit: Not like I didn't before. Every time I go to the bookstore and see "this is the new novel by 22-year-old college junior <insert name here> who began writing when he was a sophomore in high school" it makes me slightly ill. I've read the sort of things that high school AND college kids churn out. Ick.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

The book is VERY generic. It's not half bad, if you blank your mind of all the good books you have ever read or are a teenager who has never read any real fantasy before. I would consider it a library loaner at best for anyone even slightly well read in fantasy.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Agreed. Go get something like Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series if that kind of story is appealing.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 March 2007, 06:54.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well it definitely felt "generic". Y'know, let's have...

- Secret/Exclusive society betrayed from within.
        - Evil/Insane king/emperor.
        - Hot elves.
        - Magic swords. I mean, there was one scene straight out of "The Hobbit". "That sword is a dragon killer!" ~= "This is the blade Glamdring, which means foe hammer. It was forged to slay orcs."
        - Unlikely hero who, as it turns out, is good at everything!
        - A friend who you aren't sure if he's a friend or not.

Bleh.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Don't forget the mysterious guy in the village who coincidently turns out to be the only person left alive who can train you.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            Agreed. Go get something like Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series if that kind of story is appealing.
            ALL of McCaffrey's work are a worthwhile read!

i haven't read any of the new stuff co-writen with other authors. except those with her son Todd. his books that i've read are pretty worthy of his mother.
            /meow
            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
            Asus Striker ][
            8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
            Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
              Don't forget the mysterious guy in the village who coincidently turns out to be the only person left alive who can train you.

RIGHT, because he used to work for the GOOD king!

Comment

im pretty sure i fell asleep during the movie as i do not remember the ending. or anything after 45 mins into it
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE] View Post
                  im pretty sure i fell asleep during the movie as i do not remember the ending. or anything after 45 mins into it

Well to be honest the ending was... uh... not especially memorable. My wife insists that it had little or no resemblance to the book, and although it's likely to lead to a second movie she's not entirely sure... how.

Comment

Our son, Dillan, saw it this weekend with his cousin. You know a movie like this is an utter failure when you get a reply like this, "umm... it was boring and I would rather watch the rings again..." when asking how it was.

He rambled on about the inconsistencies and the parts that made too much sense or not enough, but yeah, really glad I wasn't the one that took them now.
                    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                    X