X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a waste….. .

It's a Sin!

A Car Worth Wrecking?

In the annals of movie promotion, no publicity stunt is too over-the-top. Borat attempted to enter the White House with a camera crew to plug his eponymous flick, Steve-O urinated on the red carpet at the "Jackass 2" premiere, and Tom Cruise glibly went bananas during his promotional tour for "Mission Impossible 3." But is the destruction of a priceless automobile worth a bump in grosses? The promotional push for the soon-to-be-released "Redline" put Eddie Griffin's acting abilities to the test.

When Griffin rammed an Enzo Ferrari worth $1.5 million into a wall during a promo event for "Redline," he also smashed square into the Search box. Queries on the reckless thespian jumped from zero into the thousands and he also managed to cause search spikes on "eddie griffin car crash," "eddie griffin ferrari video," and "eddie griffin movies." That last query is of paramount importance, because Griffin's big bummer boosted interest on his latest cinematic achievement.

Gossip blogs are speculating that his calamity was a coldly calculated maneuver designed to drive searches on "Redline." The standard fast-cars-fast-girls flick was crawling along in the slow lane of Buzz, but Griffin's accident caused searches on the film to burn rubber. Buzz on the movie doubled immediately and we're sure the mangled Ferrari will be a hot topic as the film gasses up for an April 13 release. We've also seen increased interest in "redline trailer," "redline cars," and "redline soundtrack"—proof positive that the Enzo imbroglio paid off handsomely in Buzz.

Was it a planned stunt? We'll leave that for you to decide, but the true test will take place at the box office. If Griffin's wreck pays off, we're sure the producers will forgive him...

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Why would anyone turn their Ferrari over to that crazy SOB?
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Easy, ferrari = $1.5 million
      Buzz = $10+ million (assuming it works)

You can buy a couple new cars afterwards.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Compared to how many expensive sports cars they wreck in any given action movie, I'm not sure I see the big deal.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

It's always a shame when such a nice car is wrecked.
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Luckily no beautiful car has been wrecked.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

So if I build something ugly but only make three of them, they become more beautiful?

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                So if I build something ugly but only make three of them, they become more beautiful?
                Well, even if you don't like the looks of it, you can't but admire the technology inside.

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                  Az, remember, there is only _one_ of you....
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                    Well, even if you don't like the looks of it, you can't but admire the technology inside.

Jörg
                    Inside where? The repair shop! I had a friend in Switzerland who was a bit of a rich car buff. Amongst others, he had a DB6, a 928 and a Ferrari (forget which model). The DB6 and the Ferrari had one thing in common: they spent more time in the repair shop than on the road. His "cheap" Porsche was much more reliable than either. As he had a family, as well, he more often than not used a Cherokee for everyday use!
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

All jokes aside, I can;t see what all this fuss is about. Someone, apparantly, paid 1.5 mln for a car. OK, so that person is stupid, could not care less. Another guy demolishes it, either by accident or on purpose. Cars get wrekced every day. It's a piece of metal and, I guess, (fake) leather and plastics. What's the big deal? I never did get that "limited edition" thing and, BTW, if something costs 1.5 mln it'd better be limited! I'm gonna ignore all his.
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                        Inside where? The repair shop! I had a friend in Switzerland who was a bit of a rich car buff. Amongst others, he had a DB6, a 928 and a Ferrari (forget which model). The DB6 and the Ferrari had one thing in common: they spent more time in the repair shop than on the road. His "cheap" Porsche was much more reliable than either. As he had a family, as well, he more often than not used a Cherokee for everyday use!
                        Well, such cars aren't really meant for everyday use (Porsche is indeed better suited for this), so that doesn't suprise me. But even despite these shortcomings, they represent interesting technological feats.

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                          Well, such cars aren't really meant for everyday use (Porsche is indeed better suited for this), so that doesn't suprise me. But even despite these shortcomings, they represent interesting technological feats.

Jörg
                          As in, they break down when exposed to everyday use? Interesting....indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                            As in, they break down when exposed to everyday use? Interesting....indeed.
                            LOL...
                            I meant the technology needed to achieve the top speed, acceleration, breaking capacity and grip these cars have in one package (if/when it works).

Jörg
                            Last edited by VJ; 30 March 2007, 07:55.
                            pixar

Comment

Umf: exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X