Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do controlling interests influence corporations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do controlling interests influence corporations?

I received the following post on a Forum I run, from a "Darin". I think it raises a question that you guys may be interested in.

Darin

How much do controlling interests influence corporations?
    « on: Today at 03:53:12 am »

Who elects a corporation's board?

I recently read that financial service providers that own a controlling share in GM, also happen to own quite a bit of various oil co's. No big deal, right? Well... It's not that they own portions of certain industries, it's how much they own of certain industries. For instance, State Street Corp has ~$2.5 billion invested in GM. They also have ~$5 billion invested in Chevron, ~$12 billion invested in Exxon Mobil Corp, ~$2.5 billion in Conoco-Phillips, etc...

Supposedly, the investment ratio of GM's largest stock holders is ~10:1 oil to GM. Because gasoline is relatively inelastic, and our society as a whole is so wealthy, it takes a large change in price to get a small change in demand. What would the odds be that GM's board influences the efficiency of their product line? Or that the board is appointed or elected primarily by the controlling interests? Recent actions are very suspicious, La Cosa Nostra has nothing on these groups...

General Motors has urged investors to reject all 10 of the shareholder proposals for its June 5 annual meeting and to re-elect its board.

The proposals include requiring disclosure of political donations, cutting emissions of greenhouse gases and making it easier for smaller shareholders to elect directors, GM said Friday in a regulatory filing.
    Hmmm...
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

This surprises you?
    Welcome to the real world.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Well I guess the only good outcome is that the big US automakers will be facing bankruptcy if they keep up that attitude, since the Japanese automakers are kicking their ass silly on efficiency and reliability.

Comment

... and reliability with fuel economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
          Supposedly, the investment ratio of GM's largest stock holders is ~10:1 oil to GM.
          "Supposedly?" What does that mean? And why do they count all oil companies and just one car-producer; they do not own Ford, Toyota, Saab, whatever?? Worthless statistic. Oh, and assuming all oil companies stock is worth 10 times the stock of all car companies, yes, a 10:1 ratio would be optimal by definition.
          Because gasoline is relatively inelastic, and our society as a whole is so wealthy, it takes a large change in price to get a small change in demand. What would the odds be that GM's board influences the efficiency of their product line? Or that the board is appointed or elected primarily by the controlling interests? Recent actions are very suspicious, La Cosa Nostra has nothing on these groups...
          WHAT? Any, *any* indication of that happening except this bit of speculation (not to say slander)? What recent actions? What about competition between car-producers or do they control all of them?

poppycock.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I think the OP's concern is more about:
            General Motors has urged investors to reject all 10 of the shareholder proposals for its June 5 annual meeting and to re-elect its board.

The proposals include requiring disclosure of political donations, cutting emissions of greenhouse gases and making it easier for smaller shareholders to elect directors, GM said Friday in a regulatory filing.
            IOW, GM's board, elected by majority shareholding, i.e., the oil companies, is wanting to prevent transparency in its political support, to take measues that would reduce petroleum consumption or to risk their being ousted by having smaller stock holders (including their own employees) elected to the board of directors. IOW, they wish to continue to obfuscate their vested interests.

Comment

Who owns GM stock?

Yahoo Finance....

Insiders: 5%

Institutional & Mutual funds: 90%

Float held by I&M: 94%

Number of Institutions Holding Shares: 423

BRANDES INVESTMENT PARTNERS L.P.: 50,663,040 shares
              CAPITAL RESEARCH AND MANAGEMENT COMPANY: 41,634,494 shares
              SOUTHEASTERN ASSET MANAGEMENT, INC.: 40,276,300 shares
              Mellon Financial Corporation: 16,337,303 shares
              Barclays Global Investors UK Holdings Ltd: 19,064,147 shares
              DEUTSCHE BANK AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT: 19,156,092 shares
              Credit Suisse: 15,027,596 shares
              etc.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
              X