X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "B.C.", "Wizard of Id" cartoonist Johnny Hart dies

Article....

Cartoonist Johnny Hart dies at 76

ENDICOTT, N.Y. (AP) — Cartoonist Johnny Hart, whose award-winning B.C. comic strip appeared in more than 1,300 newspapers worldwide, died at his home on Saturday. He was 76.

"He had a stroke," Hart's wife, Bobby, said on Sunday. "He died at his storyboard."

Hart's B.C. comic strip, populated by prehistoric cavemen and dinosaurs, was launched in 1958 and eventually appeared in more than 1,300 newspapers with an audience of 100 million, according to Creators Syndicate, Inc., which distributes it.

He lent his characters to promote many local activities, including the B.C. Open professional golf tournament. Hart designed the tournament trophy, featuring a caveman following through on his golf swing after hacking out a divot.

After Hart graduated from Union-Endicott High School, he met Brant Parker, a young cartoonist who became a prime influence and later became co-creator with Hart of the Wizard of Id comic strip.

Hart enlisted in the Air Force and began producing cartoons for Pacific Stars and Stripes. He sold his first freelance cartoon to the Saturday Evening Post after his discharge from the military in 1954.

Later in his career, some of Hart's cartoons had religious themes, a reflection of his own Christian faith. That sometimes led to controversy.

A strip published on Easter Sunday in 2001 drew protests from Jewish groups and led several newspapers to drop the strip. The cartoon depicted a menorah transforming into a cross, with accompanying text quoting some of Jesus Christ's dying words. Critics said it implied that Christianity supersedes Judaism.

Hart later said in a statement that he regretted if some people misinterpreted the strip, which he said he intended as a tribute to both faiths.

Besides his wife, Hart is survived by two daughters, Patti and Perri. He was a native of Endicott, about 135 miles northwest of New York City, and drew his comic strip at a studio in his home there until the day he died.

Funeral arrangements have not been set yet.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

He brought homour and happiness to many of us, and he died doing what he enjoyed the most.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

B.C. was very funny until Hart's religious messages became too heavy-handed. Regardless, very sad.

Kevin

Comment

Very sad, he will be missed.

I think the Garfield cartoonist needs to kick the bucket.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Sad, My thoughts goes out to his family and friends.

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
          B.C. was very funny until Hart's religious messages became too heavy-handed. Regardless, very sad.

Kevin
          Heh, that shows how effective censoring can be, I've seen nothing of it in the Swedish papers or magazines that publish B.C

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
          Very sad, he will be missed.

I think the Garfield cartoonist needs to kick the bucket.
          What a nasty thing to say
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
          X