X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw him on the news; JEEZZZ what a voice
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

OT maybe, but here's a detailed descirption of UK phone numbering: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_tele...numbering_plan
      FT.

Comment

You people are insane. Over here, our telephone numbering system is REALLY simple.

1-ABB-CDD-EEEE

The +1 is, of course, our international designation, but it's also the "toll call" designation. I'll get to that in a minute.

ABB represents the "area code". It's for state-level. Each state has several (used to just have one per, but obviously that grew) A can't be 0 or 1, BB can be anything... except there are a couple of reserved exchanges:

800, 900, 866, 877, 888

CDD is similar, only instead of "area code" it's local exchange. Basically town-level. Again C can't be 0 or 1.

EEEE can be anything. It's your local number within the town.

We haven't bothered re-numbering when adding capacity, because it would piss people off. It's bad enough that nowadays I have to dial "1-774-..."

It used to be that in all areas you could just dial the last 4, and the local switch would know that you just wanted a local call... around the corner. If you dialed 7 digits it would call within your area code. The 1 was for long distance.

Then they switched it so that only the next couple towns were "local", and the 1 was for anything else.

Nowadays, so that they can have one switching system, they have ten-digit everywhere. The 1 is pretty much vestigial.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Here, we dial 00 before the country prefix, so 001 to get a call to the USA, 0049 would be for Germany, but is not needed when calling from within the country. 030 is the prefix for Berlin, the leading 0 is droppen when a country code is dialled before. Certain services have prefixes as well (0900 for sex hotlines etc, 0800 is toll free, 016x and 017x for mobile networks). My phone number in Berlin is 362xxxxx, so my full number, dialled with country and region code, would be 004930362xxxxx. When calling from Berlin, no prefixes are needed (though the region prefix must usually be dialled when calling from a mobile). The 36 my phone number starts with used to indicate where in Berlin I am living, but nowadays you can take your phone number with you if you move within the same region. Smaller towns have region prefixes up to five digits log, but shorter phone numbers.
          Last edited by az; 21 June 2007, 06:34.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Expecting a murcer to call now Az?
            FT.

Comment

Not really, but I thought it wouldn't do any harm to post the number here, since it's a fairly obscure place, and I needed an example anyway.

Comment

Well now everyone on murc has had a chance to put it on their autodial, I'd suggest you change it. It could be used in identity theft, or stalking or whatever.
                FT.

Comment

Hmm. I trust people, maybe too much. Changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                    You'll get that chance very soon. He won.

Tenor Potts grabs US record deal

Opera singer Paul Potts, the winner of TV's Britain's Got Talent, has signed a deal to release his debut album in 15 countries, including the US.
                    The former mobile phone salesman won fans across the world after 10 million people viewed his winning performance on video-sharing site YouTube.

The 36-year-old Welshman signed a £1m recording deal with show judge Simon Cowell after his win last month.

The album will include Nessun Dorma, which he performed on the programme.

Karaoke competition

The deal will see One Chance released in countries including Australia, Canada, Germany, Spain and Italy.

It includes the UK and Ireland, where it is due to hit the shops on 16 July.

The singer will also embark on a UK tour in January and February of next year, culminating in a concert at London's Hammersmith Apollo on 17 February.

Potts' victory on Britain's Got Talent won him £100,000 and a spot performing at the Royal Variety Performance in front of the Queen.

The ITV1 show proved a ratings hit as 11 million people tuned into the final, in which Potts beat six-year-old singer Connie Talbot to the prize.

He first sang opera at the age of 28 for a karaoke competition when he dressed up as his idol, Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti.

Story from BBC NEWS:
                    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Sweet.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

..... and the Paul Potts CD is out
                        Originally posted by Gurm
                        .. some very fair skinned women just have a nasty brown crack no matter what...

Comment

Originally posted by FatBastard View Post
                          ..... and the Paul Potts CD is out
                          http://www.paulpottsuk.com/store

Hey, he's got nice teeth now!
                          Titanium is the new bling!
                          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

They have discovered one more...

Susan Boyle

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

That is a nice voice. A good song choice too.
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

very nice voice, when she was singing.. otherwise, not so much
                                We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                                X