USB 2.0 cables are not compatible with USB 1.1 devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 2.0 cables are not compatible with USB 1.1 devices

I was dealing with an obnoxious prompt (wich is another story for another post) when I got a skype call from my coworker in the store, that I had to come up because of an Irate customer who had a USB problem.

When I got up in the store the customer told me that he needed a USB 1.1 cable and that the USB 2.0 we tried to push on him was no good. (when USB 2 became more usual our cable suppliers started to apply a sticker with "2.0" printed on it on all the USB cable bags, its the same exact cables they have been selling for at least 5 years )

Apparently he had bought a cable earlier and his canon scanner had refused to work.
    Now he was back and was waving the manual who did state that the scanner was USB 1.1 compliant.
    Amazingly he also had the scanner with him (it was one of those canon ones that is USB powered) So I asked him nicely if I could try out our cable with his scanner in the cashier computer.

"Sure, but it wont work!" He said with a shark grin.

I downloaded the drivers, plugged it in, PLING, windows found it and I scanned a page from his manual and printed it.

His jaw fell to the floor, "How did you do that?, the guy from canon said it wouldn't work!"

Turns out that he had lost his scanner cable and after plugging it in with the new cable he bought from us it didn't work and when he called canon support the support monkey told him that he needed a 1.1 cable

He took the cable and went, haven't heard anything from him so maybe he got it to work

Unfortunately that kind of weird shit from manufacturer support is common
    HP sweden adamantly says that their Printers and scanners ONLY work with USB printer cables and USB Scanner cables respectively
    And ofcourse the customer then expects us to have USB cables where its printed "USB Printer cable" on em
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Reminds me of printers that support Bluetooth via add-on dongles. The manufacturers of course state that you need to purchase their dongle for it to work.

Friend of mine's dad ran into this very deceit when he called HP to inquire about his Photosmart printer and the BT capabilities. He wasn't aware that it required the dongle to begin with, but after talking to the rep he learned he needed to purchase HP's dongle for that model. Now, before the conversation was over, he asked if he could simply use the BT USB dongle he already had... Answer was an emphatic 'No.'

Not being as gullible as some might, he tried using the dongle he already had and *gasp* it worked. Amusingly he called HP back and requested to speak to the manager/supervisor and then proceeded to not only chew-out that individual but he filed a report with the BBB for deceptive practices.

There are times when I miss dealing with users
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I suspect this is another indication of declining technical support.

Since most tech support lines are run by monkeys who are low paid and don't know jack shit about computing it's easier if the script says. USB Print cable only. That way they get rid of the caller rapidly.

If the customer rings back say the same thing so it's another call correctly answered.

If the customer rings back again use the broken record tecnique and eventually he'll/she go away.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
      X