Fla. man killed by positive lightning in clear skies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fla. man killed by positive lightning in clear skies

Positive lightning is far more powerful than "normal" negative lightning and frequently fires sideways from storms many, many miles away. It's also powerful enough to bring down airliners.

An negative bolt carries a current of 40-120 kA @ up to 500 MJ (megajoules). Positive lightning carries up to 300 kA @ up to 300 GJ (gigajoules) at up to 1 gigavolt.

Link....

Lightning kills man beneath cloudless sky

A Dade landscaper died after being struck by an unusual type of lightning that's stronger, hotter, lasts longer and strikes from clear skies.

With no rain or even clouds to warn him of the danger, death came literally out of the blue Thursday to a self-employed landscaper. The killer was a powerful bolt of lightning that cracked through perfectly clear skies.

David Canales, 41, of West Miami-Dade, was on the job at a Pinecrest home when the bolt hit. It first seared a tree, then traveled and struck Canales, standing nearby.

Experts said Canales was killed by a weather phenomenon fittingly called a ''bolt from the blue'' or ''dry lightning'' because it falls from clear, blue skies. He was pronounced dead at South Miami Hospital.

Canales is the latest victim of one of Florida's least enviable honors: It's the country's lightning capital. Five of the 47 people killed by lightning across the country last year were in Florida.

Dan Dixon, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Miami, said that when Canales was hit, a typical afternoon storm was forming but nowhere near the area.

Weather data showed that lightning activity picked up north of Pinecrest shortly before 1 p.m., as a storm gathered momentum and swept through Coral Gables and then downtown.

''Most lightning will come from the base of a thunderstorm, inside that rain-shaft area,'' Dixon explained. ``But occasionally, what we call a bolt from the blue comes out of a thunderstorm still several miles away.''

The fair-weather bolts pack a bigger, deadlier punch and form differently.

Most lightning bolts carry a negative charge, but ''bolts from the blue'' have a positive charge, carry as much as 10 times the current, are hotter and last longer.

The bolts normally travel horizontally away from the storm and reach farther than typical lightning, then curve to the ground. This bolt struck the front yard of a home at 10500 SW 62nd Ave.

''My wife said the sky was blue, but the lightning bolt was the most horrible sound she had heard in her life,'' said Clemente Vazquez-Bello, owner of the home where Canales and two workers had come to do landscaping.

Startled by the violent sound, Margarita Vazquez-Bello ran to the backyard. The men were not there. Canales' workers were knocking on the front door, seeking help.

She dialed 911. Officers with the Village of Pinecrest and Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue arrived at the home. But Canales was in grave condition when transported, said rescue spokesman Lt. Elkin Sierra.

The Vazquez-Bellos rushed to South Miami Hospital, where Canales was pronounced dead. Canales' wife, also at the hospital, could not be reached for comment.

Vazquez-Bello said Canales was ''a wonderful human being'' and a dependable hard worker.

''We feel terrible about this,'' said Vazquez-Bello, a Miami attorney.

Dixon said protecting yourself from such unexpected lightning is difficult.

''They are very unpredictable and very dangerous. We urge people to stay indoors even if you hear thunder only faintly in the distance,'' Dixon said. ``If you're close enough to hear thunder, you're close enough to be struck by lightning.''

Earlier this month, a worker was hospitalized after being struck at a construction site in Miami. Nine people, including three children, were forced out of their Plantation home after a lightning strike caused a fire.

There has been at least one fatality in South Florida this year: A person on a roof in Miramar was killed by lightning May 19, Dixon said.

It's not the first time in South Florida ''bolts from the blue'' have proven deadly.

In August 1988, a Norwegian couple vacationing in South Florida were struck while standing on a Fort Lauderdale beach. Witnesses said the sky was cloudless.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Thats f'in freaky.

Comment

Well the central part of the state is the lightning capital of the US and it tends to not just stick to there.

I remember visitors from other states thinking natives a touch weird for saying to watch for lightning on a clear day. So it's really not that unusual of an occurrence - at least not for me.

Still, it is freaky.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

5% of all lightning is positive, and not just in Florida. In '63 a Boeing 707 flying to Philadelphia was brought down by positive lightning.

To put some context to its power; a 300 GJ strike could light a 100 Watt bulb for ~100 years.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 June 2007, 15:12.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Getting struck by lightning while enjoying the sun... more than freaky.

Comment

LoL, I always love how they call a thunderstorm a few miles away "clear skies!"

Comment

I've read that the "few miles" could be as far as 50 miles.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Pretty much. Weather also has a nasty habit of sweeping in quickly. So it may a bright sunny day in an area and ten minutes later a nasty thunderstorm has moved in. Sometimes the fact that it's not raining throws people off as well.

Comment

I just consider "clear skies" to mean no clouds visible in the sky (depending on the humidity and dust in the air, you can see thunderstorms over 100 miles away,) not "Oh look, there's a patch of blue between those two thunderstorm anvils" nor a thunderstorm 15 miles away in the next county.
                  Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 23 June 2007, 14:10.

Comment

Positive lightning? Wouldn't that have to be some form of plasma?

Comment

It's the same as regular lightning, just that the polarity of the charge is opposite. Regular lightning is between positively charged ground and negatively charged clouds, thus electrons move downward into the ground. Positive lightning typically connects to the top of the storm which is positively charged and goes towards the negatively charged ground around and behind the storm. The charges are able to build up to much higher voltages due to the greater amount of insulation (the longer distant through the air) and thus the resulting lightning carries much more current.

I've noticed that positive flash lighting off the back side of a storm also tends to have far more impressive thunder.

Comment

BTW: those beads can travel at 0.10 C, 1/10 the speed of light.

And this a positive strike captured by an Aussie lightning photographer.

Note that he almost got fried by it instead of getting a photo

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 June 2007, 14:45.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

needs more lightning rod towers
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Just took this earlier this evening:

Comment

Looks like the storm that rushed over us earlier today. Love thunderstorms.

Comment

Working...
                              X