Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM VoltFC (Fuel Cell)

Pic below.

Note first the tanks in the rear. These have been fired at by cannon and sustained guillotine drops without failing.

Now note the passenger rear wheel; it is one of two electric wheel motors which also have built-in traction control and quite likely regenerative braking.

Now notice blue the battery pack in the centerline of the vehicle. Yup, they kept the "plug-in" feature though mostly the battery buffers for the fuel cell.

Finally check out the GM 5th generation fuel cell power plant at the front of the vehicle. This is half the size of their 4th generation fuel cell power plant, neatly fitting where the original Volts 1 liter 3 cyl charging engine & generator formerly resided.

>300 miles (483 km) per tank.

Now that GM has moved 500 engineers from research to production word is the fuel cell version could beat the hybrid to market with ~100 going into "beta-test" as soon as later this year, though in a different chassis.

These guys are serious.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 June 2007, 22:54.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I hope that's a scale model, or else that's gonna be one tiny little car.

Comment

It's a photographic illusion called "foreshortening."

In fact the Volt chassis is a 5 passenger about the size of a BMW 5 series.-
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X