I'm tethered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tethered!

No, this isn't a marriage announcement (you're all about 12 years too late for that).

I'm typing this from my laptop, tethered to my GPRS phone, on top of the mountain in Greenfield. No data connections to be found for miles around.

This is neat, but a mixed blessing... sometimes you WANT to disconnect, y'know?

Ciao!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Update... GPRS is tolerable, 5.25KB/sec. on an FTP pull, with some light web surfing in the background. EDGE would be better, of course 500 yards up at the next house I get EDGE but not here. *grr*
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I've got that beat! I'm in a poorly lit, noisy room pondering the fact that even an easy job can still be a bad job, and even if the opportunity to go outside arose it's raining so there'd be no point.

Comment

If you want to protect your ears (or your sanity) from noise but still don't want sound to sound muffled and don't want to look like a dork, get something like this
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I already have a pair of Etymotic ER-20s earplugs, but good suggestion anyways.

The problem is, the old, worn-out projectors we have just put out an annoying clicking/chugging/clacking/whiring noise that is really good at obscuring speech. Earplugs reduce the total amplitude, but do little to improve the signal to noise ratio if you're trying to hear what someone is saying over the crappy walkies we use.

This is neat, but a mixed blessing... sometimes you WANT to disconnect, y'know?
          Why did you bring a cellphone for then?

Comment

The nice thing about the plugs I linked to is that they dampen sound quite evenly over the spectrum. This does of course not help with the problem that the projectors are obscuring speech frequencies, but at least they don't make it worse (like many other plugs do).
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yawn ... been there done that.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
              X