Question about credit and debts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
    So you intend to show them you are better by sending a neat official reply? You are a consumer, you do not have to meet their standards, lowly as they may turn out to be. If I were a collector and you'd send me notarised mail, you'd make top on my 'likely to collect' list. It must not be a stupid reply, it must be a reply that could make people think _you_ are stupid and, more importantly, hopelessly poor.

Rereading your post, the fact that they charged off your debt at $1,500 does not mean their cliam is capped at that, not at all. It just means that at that point they deemed the claim worthless which is not at all the same as void. The claim continues to accrue interest, fees, commisions and whatnot, it just won;t get to their P&L.

Oh, and BTW, read this disclaimer: I am an ignorant prick who does not know anything about these kind of things, expecially not in the USA context. You may do well to seek professional advice on this.

Well here's the deal - I checked with the court. I'm REQUIRED to send a certified (not notarized) reply, signature required, to the clerk magistrate and the collection company. Or else they can petition for a summary judgement in the absence of my response.

I'm working with some people on a different forum that deal with this crap all the time.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

OK, I am happy to hear you are getting help from people that actually, unlike me, know about these things. Still interested in the developments though.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
      X