Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever lost a PC due to bad power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever lost a PC due to bad power?

So, have any of you ever lost a PC or PSU or suffered component damage because of bad power?

Ever had data loss because of a blackout or brownout?

Ever had stability problems because of flaky power?

(My answers are no, no, and no - thus I don't use a UPS, and now my PC's a laptop anyway.)
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Yes, yes and probabely.

I have encoutered several power failures while working. While none yielded
    a corrupt file system (I could boot when the power was restored, and
    continue with having to repair stuff other than occasionally files that
    were open) it did yield to loss of data that was unsaved up to that point.
    And therefor a lot of annoyance.
    One harddisk I had stopped working, which I think may have had to do with
    powerblackouts (I suffered 15 of them in a 2 week period). It was replaced
    under warranty though (so I'm not sure about the problem).

Just to prevent such annoyances, I am using a UPS (mge evolution 2200)
    which gives me between 15 minutes (full load, 2 displays) to 45 minutes
    (light load, one screen). Everything connected to my PC is plugged into to
    it (usb hub, router, zipdrive, external hdd, photo camera when charging,
    mobile phone/pda when charging, even a desklamp (!), ...), apart from
    printer and scanner; so when the power goes, I can continue (and still
    have light to do so ).

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I've lost a mobo due to poor psu, which might have only occurred due to bad power. Technically the mobo still worked, but the pins and connector was all burnt and I didn't want to risk frying anything else. I think generally if you have a good PSU and use a surge protector (or UPS) you should be fine.

I had one PSU with which my computer would shut off with any tiny little surge (usually in mild thunderstorms). I replaced it with this Vantec and haven't had any problems since.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Does Lighting count?
        I lost EVERY network card in my network (5 PC's), a switch, and a router .
        The odd power failure has yeilded no real adverse effects - only 3 of the PC's have UPS's.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

yep
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Lighting strike killed the MB & network card.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

yes to all of the above.
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

if lighting counts, i lost my Amiga 500 ..
                "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Yes, yes and yes. I've had a HDD plough a head into the magnetic coating on two occasions due to switching surges.

Worst case happened in 1981 (pre-PC); I had the firm's accounts on an HP-87 with 4 floppy drives (HDDs were VERY unreliable then and were limited to 5 Mb). 1 drive was for the software, 1 for the backup software, 1 for the data, 1 for the backup data. A power surge caused ALL 4 discs to be instantaneouly erased. No software, no data, and this was 11 months into the financial year, needless to say. Fortunately, I had hard copy of everything, so we were legally OK, but it was a PITA for tax returns and year-end cloture.

In those days, UPSs were unheard of for small computer systems.

I have had UPSs on all computers for many years and have been glad of them.

To those with UPSs, test them on full load every year. My experience is a 50% loss of capacity in 3 years and 90% in 5 years. The batteries must be changed regularly.

Have lost at least 5 modems to lightning!
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I've lost the ethernet port of my cable modem and an entire UPS due to power cuts.

I can think of a few occassions when I've been extremely grateful for the presence of a UPS
                    FT.

Comment

Not sure, no and yes. Flaky power mainly caused bizarre problems with the monitor. Also had a lightning strike that fried the WAN port on my router, the damned thing never worked correctly after that, I wonder why?
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Oh right, I remember, I lost a 14.4 modem to lightning.
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I've lost modems to power surges on phone lines.

I've lost PSU's motherboards, CPU's, and RAM to surges.

I've lost PSU's to brownouts.

I've lost hard disks due to faulty power that made them eat themselves.

And I've lost Zip drives due to... poor build quality. ROFL.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

All of the above, which is why the lab has a whole-room power conditioner (Empower) in addition to UPS's. They can also help if you have an emergency generator (we have a 13kw Generac). The waveform on these is often more like a square wave, which some gear chokes on.

Still, these can't help when your 3 year old sticks a screwdriver into the back of a systems power supply
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 July 2007, 11:26.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                              Still, these can't help when your 3 year old sticks a screwdriver into the back of a systems power supply
                              That's why I don't have a 3 year old

Seriously though. I've lost at least 5-6 PSU's to power surges, a motherboard, a 14.4 modem (most I ever spent on a modem as well). I've also repaired a few. I'm a BIG fan of UPS's. They just save your bacon more times than you can imagine. If you're thinking about it now and you don't do it... when not if you have a problem you'll look back on this and feel like an idiot.
                              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X