Sheffield Floods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheffield Floods

Interesting how the leaches come out maybe a true strong a word though. Since the Government isn't being genorous with the cash. I presume most of it's tied up in Iraq the local council is only giving relief funding to those who weren't insuranced or were under insured.
    I can't see the problem with that just as long as the insurance companies play fair which they probably won't without some preasure.
    However it's brought howls of protest from those withn insurance as being unfair. I think they're being plain greedy and selfish. What do you think.

Get all of the latest news from The Star. Providing a fresh perspective for online news.
    Last edited by The PIT; 19 July 2007, 12:24.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

In the first place, I don't see why local or national authorities need to pay a single dime to anyone to cover flood damage. If a person is insured, then the insurance companies should be forced to pay every cent that the policy covers. If a person is not insured, then tough cheese, that was their conscious decision and public funds should not cover them.

In any case, the insurance companies are always reinsured for major catastrophes with Lloyds, Munich-Re and others, so they won't be losing out. If an insurance company renegs from its contractual liabilities, then they should be made to. Knowing the UK, I'm pretty sure there must be an insurance ombudsman or similar who will have the power to force the issue.

The only responsibility of the authorities is to provide emergency services (evacuation, temporary re-housing, medical help etc.) at the time of the catastrophe.

I would not take what is printed in the popular press too literally.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

We had a large flood in Germany a while ago. The problem with insurances was that they didn't cover against force majeure, which included floods. Many affected by the flood didn't know that and were left alone by their insurers.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
        We had a large flood in Germany a while ago. The problem with insurances was that they didn't cover against force majeure, which included floods. Many affected by the flood didn't know that and were left alone by their insurers.
        Caveat emptor
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Reminds me of something... (az, you're gonna love this one )

Almost 10 years ago we had a really big flood here (and I believe it hit pretty badly few German cities also...Frankfurt (Oder) most, I think), big as in "happens once in few hundred years". Obviously there were similar problems as described above...but on top of that, in Sudeten a common thing was:
          - new, shiny, placed in beatifull places (by the rivers...) homes totally flooded/destroyed. Oh, and uninsured.
          - old, German homes mostly intact. Might have something to do with the fact that they were built on higher grounds...

So...if one chooses to build home in such a place...

Comment

We had similar issues in the past. The government's "distasterfund" covered damages in the event of natural disasters, but there were downsides. This was an extremely slow body (we are talking 8-10 years before damages are payed back) and it didn't cover damages caused by non-natural disasters (e.g. following a heavy rainfall or wind that wasn't deemed natural disaster by the meteorological department).

To improve on this, fire insurances on houses (which are I believe mandatory) must now include coverage for storms, floods and whatnot. This was decided some years ago, there was a transition period, but I think that has passed a few months ago.

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
            X