X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• micro rc helicopter

Hello,

This weekend, at the flying club, one of the members had this little gizmo:

And it was great fun. The helicopter only weighs 10 gr (!) and can fly for about 5 min. Flying indoors (which is the only place to fly it works perfectly. Only downside was the IR control (when the helicopter goes out of range, it just falls to the ground - and the range isn't that big).
    But everybody was immediately hooked on it! I have searched around, and found this one:

It is a bit more expensive, but uses RF rather than IR and is said to have better control and build quality.

I'm really on the edge of buying it (as a kid I was already hooked on RC stuff), but don't know if I ought to...

Talk me out of it!!!!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I've been thinking about getting one for quite a while too, but I don't know how long the entertainment-level will stay that high. And what I might knock over or damage in my living room...
    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Well, the trick is not to knock stuff over...

But yes, I have the same feeling regarding the entertainment value. I have found that there is one particular model with which you can play a laser tag game (I thought it was a version derived of the Picooz).
      Perhaps there is fun in getting quite skilled with it? I have a feeling this is the case, and this is I'm looking at that Walkera model. The IR models often have a forward motion by themselves and only allow for throttle and left/right rotation; I can't load the Walkera website here, but I think it has full controls.

So manu fun things... so little time...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

These guys have 3-channel models from £28: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/search/?qfind=helicopter

Oh wait, I was supposed to be talking you out of it Ah well
        FT.

Comment

We picked up 2 Air Hog helos ($30 ea) and they're a SCREAM!! Enough that we're looking into a much larger bird.

No, I won't talk you out of them

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 September 2007, 13:51.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            We picked up 2 Air Hog helos ($30 ea) and they're a SCREAM!! Enough that we're looking into a much larger bird.
            Yes, I can imagine...

How are those airhogs to fly?

I keep wondering whether a model with more degrees of freedom (like true RC helicopters) is not more apealing for me; Walkera is coming out with this new model:

(I don't have room (or time) for a larger thing, just seems like fun for indoor entertainment; but don't mind a challenge to control it)

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Working...
            X