X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA's NEXT ION drive breaks record

Link....

NASA's Ion Engine Breaks Performance Record

An ion engine prototype developed at NASA's Glenn Research Center has now accumulated more than 12,000 hours of operation and processed over 245 kilograms of xenon, setting a record for most propellant throughput ever demonstrated by an ion engine.

The engine is the critical component of NASA's Evolutionary Xenon Thruster (NEXT) system, which uses xenon gas and solar electric power to drive future robotic science spacecraft to distant asteroids, comets, planets and their moons.

The propellant throughput achieved exceeds the previous record of 235 kilograms demonstrated by the 30,000 hour ground life test of the spare Deep Space 1 engine.

Additionally, the ion engine has demonstrated over 10 million Newton-seconds total impulse, the highest total impulse ever demonstrated by an ion engine in the history of space propulsion.

"Total impulse is the product of the engine's thrust and firing duration and is a direct measure of its capability to perform missions," according the Mike Patterson, Glenn's NEXT principal investigator. "This test validates NEXT technology for a wide range of NASA solar system exploration missions, as well as the potential for Earth-space commercial ventures."
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 September 2007, 00:36.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

My physics is rusty. One gravity acceleration is equivalent to how many Newton-seconds?

Kevin

Comment

1G is an acceleration of 9.80665 m/s^2

ION's provide a tiny fraction of that, a fraction of a m/s^2, so artificial gravity by acceleration is out.

Obviously ION drives have a low level thrust compared to chemical rockets, NEXT delivers 0.236 Newtons vs 3.3 megaNewtons for an RS-68 engine (5 to be used on the Ares V heavy lifter), but because ION's run 24/7/365 instead of a few minutes they build up lots of speed over time in space. Interplanetary spacecraft without ION drives don't accelerate much at all once the last booster stage finishes unless they do a swing around a planet or fire a thruster.

Think tortoise & hare.

Example:

The fastest spacecraft ever launched is the New Horizons probe to Pluto at 58,000 km/hr. This took a very, very large & expensive Atlas V 551 booster (largest Atlas to date) plus a Boeing Star 48B third stage added to increase the probes top speed. After that it coasts.

The top speed attained by the first ION drive spacecraft, Deep Space One, was nearly as fast at 56,000 km/h but it was launched on a budget Delta II booster; a pipsqueak compared to an Atlas V of any type. DS1 not only went fast but it was able to change course to encounter 2 comets and test several other new technologies in the 3 years it motored around the solar system.

Yet the two spacecraft are about the same mass; NH = 478 kg ; DS1 = 486.3 kg

Why? The ION drive. If DS1 had been launched on an Atlas V 551/Star 48B odds are it would hold the record by a lot and the NEXT ION units are better.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 September 2007, 00:38.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X