Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubble's successor upgraded

James Webb Space Telescope

(mirror size comparison vs. Hubble below....)

Space.com article....

NASA's Next Great Observatory Gets SpaceWire Boost

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope is getting a broadband upgrade with "SpaceWire" that will allow the new orbital observatory to capture images of the universe in unprecedented detail once it launches in 2013.

Engineers at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, took SpaceWire, originally developed by the European Space Agency, and adapted it for easier implementation on space missions. They designed a small, low power microchip that can send SpaceWire signals at speeds over 200 megabits per second, or over ten times faster than most high definition television broadcasts.

The boost in speed makes information processing faster among the James Webb Space Telescope's (JWST) four science instruments as they "talk" to each other with the SpaceWire network. That means the infrared telescope, NASA's next great observatory, should capture larger and higher resolution images of space.

"It makes the scientists happy, and makes the observatory more efficient because it can cover a large swath of sky faster," said Pam Sullivan, manager of the JWST Integrated Science Instrument Module. She called $4.5-billion JWST "the next generation space telescope" and "successor to Hubble" that will look back 13 billion years to understand the origins of the universe.

JWST acts "like a digital camera" that turns light into digital data, according to Sullivan. The telescope will make use of 66 million detector pixels – the most on any infrared space telescope – that each collects a small bit of information. The science instruments can then process the information through SpaceWire to make a complete image, like creating an overall Impressionist painting from many tiny dots or pixels

"The trend is for telescopes to have more and more detector pixels to take bigger pictures of sky," observed Sullivan. She added that SpaceWire enables larger telescopes because "more pixels generate more data, and you have to have way to move more data around."
    >
    Mirror vs. Mirror
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 November 2007, 09:19.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

so do they have to send out astronauts with a bottle of windex every so often to clean the space dust off the mirrors?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It shouldn't need Windex. First of all its placement is in a low-dust environment. Secondly its mirrors are made of polished Beryllium and not glass. This is because JWST's main mission is in the infrared band, which is what's needed to view the strongly red-shifted light from the early days of the universe...the so-called "cosmic dark ages"...which we cannot currently see even with Hubble.

JWST will be placed at Lagrange point 2, about 932,100 miles (1.5 million km) from Earth and almost 4x as far as the Moon. Spaceships like Orion, Dragon etc. could make the trip since only about 3.5k m/s extra velocity is needed to get there. Add an Earth departure stage, a larger service module, more provisions and use a smaller crew and there you are.

So; servicing missions are possible, but they'll be unlike anything we've ever seen before.

At the least Orion will also be able to do missions to near Earth asteroids. Most likely Dragon will be similarly capable if properly provisioned, though its ability would depend on SpaceX developing their BFR (big Falcon rocket, though many call it the big f'ing rocket ) which is to use several engines (Merlin 3) as powerful as the Saturn V's...about 1.5 million lb/f of thrust each.

If Falcon 9 and the Falcon 9 Heavy work out BFR is very likely. A plus is that Merlin 3 is just a 2x size version of the Merlin 2 engine they're already working on (or more properly; Merlin 2 is a half scale Merlin 3).

Lagrange points
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 November 2007, 09:15.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Also, is that the girls right tit popping up from her shirt or what?

Comment

Certainly looks like it. The guys at NASA must be having a little fun

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 November 2007, 09:20.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

And yep, since L2 is unstable there should be very little dust in there...

BTW Doc, I guess James Webb needs Ares V to launch...is NASA on schedule with the booster for 2013 launch?
            Also I can't wait for the foretaste of JWST that Herschel will give us next year (and, accidentelly (or not?) will be deorbited just before JWST planned launch)

PS. Shouldn't that be "Hubble's successor specs upgraded"?

Comment

JWST is a cooperative project with the European and Canadian Space Agencies and will be launched no sooner than June 2013 on an Ariane 5 from the Guiana Space Center.

Ares V won't be ready until about 2017. Besides that an Ares V would be a waste because it could lift 130 metric tons while the JWST only weighs 6.2 metric tons, half that of Hubble in spite of being much larger. Like shooting fleas with a cannon
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 November 2007, 12:10.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

someone said StarShip Orion ???

"Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Working...
                X