The next Britney Spears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next Britney Spears?

Something grandparents have to endure when their 'tween g'kids spend the day

Link....

The hype of Hannah

Short of a full-scale Beatles reunion, it's hard to imagine a hotter ticket than Hannah Montana.

The teen superstar -- along with her real-world counterpart, the just-turned-15 Miley Cyrus -- plays The Palace on Wednesday, and it's a show for which parents have been tearing their hair out in order to secure tickets.

Pairs of seats have sold for more than $1,500 on eBay, and officials at StubHub.com say the tour is a phenomenon unlike anything they have ever seen.

But why?

For the uninitiated, here's a quick primer on all things Hannah Montana.

Hannah who?

"Hannah Montana" is a cable TV series that airs on the Disney Channel. It stars Miley Cyrus -- the daughter of "Achy Breaky Heart" singer Billy Ray Cyrus -- as Miley Stewart, a normal teenager who leads a secret life as a pop star. (As Hannah, Miley wears a blonde wig; she takes it off when she's at home. Presto!) The show taps into every teen's dream of fame and fortune, but allows its heroine to retain a normal family life, too. What a concept -- why didn't anyone think of this before?

How come I've never heard of Hannah Montana before?

You probably don't have kids between the ages of 6 and 14, "Hannah Montana's" key demo.

When did "Hannah Montana" become, like, the biggest thing ever?

Last year. The show debuted in March 2006 and quickly caught on with the 'tween set.

OK, but you're talking about a TV show. What does that have to do with concerts?

Since the show centers on Miley/Hannah's life as a pop star, music is integral to the show. A soundtrack was released in October 2006 and debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's albums chart, the first TV soundtrack to ever achieve such a feat. "Hannah Montana 2/ Meet Miley Cyrus" followed in June and also debuted at No. 1, beating out Kelly Clarkson's "My December." Both soundtracks are still in Billboard's top 50 and have combined sales of more than 4.6 million units.

Are the CDs any good?

Depends on whom you ask. Some of the songs are undeniably catchy -- it's hard to get the show's theme song, "Best of Both Worlds," out of your head -- but most of it is pretty derivative pop rock with a light country twist. Sorry, Hannah fans, please don't bombard me with angry e-mails.

Is "Hannah Montana" hotter than "High School Musical"?

Probably. Though "High School Musical 2" was the highest rated cable program in history, tickets for its concert tour -- it played The Palace in January -- weren't nearly as sought after as "Hannah Montana" tickets. That said, "HSM's" Zac Efron is a bigger star than Miley Cyrus. For now.

What's the deal with tickets?

They sold out instantly when they went on sale. Many called shenanigans and blamed the ticket shortage on brokers snatching them all up and taking advantage of parents who promised their kids they'd get them tickets. Lawsuits have been filed and attorneys are looking into the particulars of the ticket shortage.

At the heart of the problem, however, is a classic case of supply and demand: The concert probably could have sold out Ford Field but is instead only playing one date at the Palace. Look at it this way: Be glad she's not playing the Fox.

What is Miley Cyrus' favorite scent?

Vanilla. Other fun facts about her from the "Hannah Montana" soundtrack liner notes: Her favorite crayon color is Tickle Me Pink; her favorite food is Chinese; her favorite season is summer; and her favorite sport is cheerleading. Wait, is cheerleading even a sport? Just kidding. Cheerleading fans, please don't bombard me with angry e-mails.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

'Hannah' has been a hot news topic here lately, only because when the tix for the show went on sale, they where all quaffed up on-line by scalpers. Now mommys who want to take their kids to the show are only able to do so by paying exhorbinant prices 10x the face values.

This is becoming a sad trend with any tix. Colorado fans could not even get tix to the world series games in Denver because of on-line sales, and the scalpers with their bots sucking up all the tix. And the original sellers don't care. As long as they sell their tix fast, they've made their money, payed their bills....so what if the end fans get screwed. BIG reason I have been to one concert in the last 10 years, when I used to get to see 4-5/year 10 years ago...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
    X