Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD admits it overpaid for ATI

Full Story ...

AMD admits it overpaid for ATI, will take charge to reduce goodwill estimate
    Jordan Robertson, The Associated Press
    December 12, 2007 - 5:01 p.m.

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. acknowledged Wednesday it overpaid in its US$5.6 billion acquisition of Canadian graphics chip maker ATI Technologies Inc., adding to the deepening financial woes of the slumping semiconductor company.

Sunnyvale-based AMD, the world's No. 2 maker of microprocessors behind Intel Corp., said in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission it will have to write down the value of the goodwill estimate it attached to Markham, Ont.-based ATI when it bought the company in October 2006.

AMD said it does not currently know how big the charge will be.
    Originally posted by Gurm
    .. some very fair skinned women just have a nasty brown crack no matter what...

And that was a shock to ... who?
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think I've read somewhere that at the moment AMD is worth less than what they paid for ATI...

Comment

fitting writeup on AMD's current situation

Comment

Funny... during college Ati left a bad taste in my mouth after buying a Xpert98 in college and is one of the forces that drove me towards matrox. They didn't win me back until the 8500. I bought AMD's because I couldn't afford Intel chips and then felt justified when the Athlon came out and I got a 600Mhz and then a 700Mhz (damn you KA100 boards and your caps).

Now I'm using a Nvidia video card and have used C2D's in the last few computers I've helped friends build.... sigh

Lets hope they get out of this.
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
            I think I've read somewhere that at the moment AMD is worth less than what they paid for ATI...
            Ouch.

Comment

Working...
            X