Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake in UK

Global Warming to blame?

Actually we've had quakes nearly that large here in the US midwest.

They sure get your attention.

Earthquake felt across large parts of Britain

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — The strongest earthquake to hit Britain in more than two decades was felt across large parts of the country early Wednesday, officials said. Some homes had minor damage but there were no reports of injuries.

The British Geological Survey said the 5.3-magnitude quake struck at about 1 a.m. and was centered about 125 miles north of London.

Julian Bukits of the British Geological Survey called it the most powerful quake in Britain since a 5.4 temblor hit North Wales in 1984.

"This was a very large earthquake in U.K. terms, but in world terms average," Bukits told The Associated Press. "This one has been felt throughout the whole of England and southern Scotland."

Many people across the region — unaccustomed to such quakes — reported feeling their homes shaken.

"It was scary," David Somerset told The Associated Press by telephone from Driffield, around 60 miles from the epicenter. He was working on the computer at the time.

"It was a strange sensation as the room, ornaments and chest of drawers started wobbling and making a loud rumbling noise," he said.

Lincolnshire police said they had received dozens of phone calls about the temblor and that some minor damage to homes had been reported.

"This is a moderate earthquake," Rafael Abreu of the U.S. Geological Survey told Sky News from the United States.

He described the tremor as a shallow interplate earthquake. He said his U.S.-based group initially put the magnitude at 4.7 but would likely adopt the 5.3-magnitude rating from his British counterparts.

Bukits said Britain is hit annually with about 200 quakes but only 10% are strong enough to be felt. A quake of magnitude 5 is capable of causing considerable damage.

The epicenter was in Market Rasen in Lincolnshire, a small market town known for its racecourse, the U.S. Survey said.

"I was in bed at the time and suddenly there was quite a big bang and shaking that woke us up," said Laura Bocock, who lives close to Market Rasen in northeast England. "It sounded like someone had hit the bungalow and (I) was quite frightened.

"I couldn't get back to sleep because I was scared it could happen again."

The North West Ambulance service said its crews had also reported feeling the quake but had received "no actual calls from the public," said a spokeswoman, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with the service's policy.

John Jenkin of Bourne said the jolt knocked objects from the shelves of his home.

"I was woken up. It was hell," he said.

A woman in Notting Hill, a wealthy section of London, reported that her radio was bumping up and down on a shelf for several seconds.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'm not too far from the epicentre. about 60miles as the crow flies. It woke us up with such a start I pulled a muscle in my back I'd say it lasted about 10 seconds and was surprisingly loud.

The last one was a couple of years ago near Dudley, Birmingham, only about 30 miles away, and seemed much louder/longer. The joke at the time was 'did you hear about the earthquake that totally devastated Dudley last night, doing £34.50 worth of damage?"
    FT.

Comment

The problem in the UK is that houses are not built to withstand even relatively mild ones of 5.3 Richter. Last August, we had a similar one with the epicentre just 4 km away from here. The papers said there was no damage caused. A few years ago, a similar one near Limassol caused 2 broken legs but no structural damage: the legs were because 2 persons panicked and jumped off their balcony! We haven't had a big'un for a couple of centuries, but one about 65 years ago (I think 6.8) killed ~60 in Paphos and this is what forced building regulations to include protection against quakes. Our main fault line is 50-100 km offshore, but there is also one right across the centre of the island which devastated many cities c. 400: seismologists estimate it must have been close to 9 Richter. A large part of the city of Salamis dropped ~5 m into the sea (it can still be seen under the water) and the city of Curium was pushed upwards even more, as the seaport is now on the top of a cliff (possibly a different quake from the Salamis one)!

If a 6 Richter quake hit a heavily populated city of the UK, I shudder to think of the consequences. It would be worse than a big'un along the San Andreas or in Japan.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Here in Michigan we live with the prospect of another quake on the (huge) New Madrid Seismic Zone, AKA the Reelfoot Rift (see below). This covers parts of 5 US states; Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Illinois.

Because it goes off every 100-300 years it's still a point of contention when it comes to drilling deep waste disposal wells etc. for fear another big quake will force the bad stuff back to the surface. Not unreasonable IMO.

New Madrid went off bigtime in 1811-1812 with >200 major shocks and the main quake estimated at 7.9 - 9.0, and there was damage all the way to and past Detroit. Damned thing rang church bells in Boston. It went off again in 1895 @ 6.8.

Who says you have to be on a plate boundary to get your arse handed to you on a plate?

This is how the 1895 event compares to the 1994 California Northridge quake @ 6.7

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 February 2008, 03:34.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

We had one last thursday that hit 6.0 and I didn't even notice.

"The quake, which had an estimated magnitude of 6.0, according to the U.S. Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo., struck at 6:16 a.m., and was centered in a sparsely populated area 11 miles southeast of Wells near the Nevada-Utah line"
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

That's the difference between a bowl of jello and a pile of rocks

Comment

Working...
            X