Incredible!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredible!

I got a new cheapo computer (€220) for a family friend who had fried her CPU/motherboard. As she had a lot of data on her old one, I transferred the IDE ATA HDD to the new one before even formatting the 150 Gb SATA drive. I switched it on and it booted up the Win XP that was on the old drive. Natch, it said there was a hardware change and I had 3 days to reactivate it. I optimistically clicked to reactivate it over the Internet and it accepted it!

I imagined that the best that it would allow would be to have a long phone call to MS in Lebanon and explain that the computer was changed because the old one was fried. The only thing in common between the two was the C: drive.
    Changes:
    m/b from Intel to Elite with via chipset
    CPU from P4 1600 to Core 2 Duo 1800
    RAM from 256 Mb DDR to 512 Mb DDR2 1024 GHz FSB

I deleted the old drivers and installed the new ones. I formatted the new SAT HDD, which she will use for back-up. The only hiccup was that there was no LPT1 port but I found that her printer also had a USB port, so that was only a very minor problem. Total time required to get the thing working from virgin condition with Internet and all her applications and data: 1¼ hours! I expected it to take at least 1¼ days!!!!!!

Maybe I should badmouth MS's activation a little less!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

That can't be a feature, must be a bug.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Good that it was so easy, but these occasions are normally a great opportunity to get rid of the accumulated cruft and start fresh. Of course, there's always those apps that can't be replaced...
      FT.

Comment

Working...
      X